cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C coachmen 2015

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I put away a little cash for 40 years for the day I could buy a new RV when I got the 2015 coachmen home all the ford material stated it was a 2014, all of the sales contracts stated it was a 2015 did I get had or is this a common practice for the running gear to be a different model year than the RV itself. the unit had 1500 miles on it I did have the VIN checked and it is a 2014 Ford cutaway van with a V10 engine and so on. the tag and title will be mailed to me in 30 days or less. do I have a problem with the purchase? Thanks in advance for your input
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
24 REPLIES 24

JRS950
Explorer
Explorer
That is exactly one of the things for which we searched when buying our coach, matching years. Ours is both a 15 chassis and 15 coach. No issues at all. Best of luck for you.

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
The RVIA has a document discussing the model year difference. It is available HERE.

They indicate that all states should use the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer.
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's great that you have all those options included in writing, that should solve that part of it. Of course, the dealer may have lied about those things, but they didn't lie about the year of the motorhome. It IS a 2015 Coachman. The fact that it is on a 2014 Ford chassis is irrelevant and is, as has been stated here, more common than not. Enjoy your new toy!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone we have been truck camper users for many years guess that was a easy one no chassis just I had some questions ( this should get some laughs ) the dealer lied to us but they did put it in writing including the misstatements, so what they put in writing we hope we eventually can get, i.e. the motorhome came with heated holding tanks (wrong) electric awning (wrong) inside and outside L.E.D. lights (wrong) hope to have these options installed since they were described in the bill of sale I made sure they put this in the buyers contract because we took delivery late in the day glad I did that and also hope they comply. Thought the part about the dealer/salesmen lied part would get a few laughs. so far we are ok with the purchase will know for sure when we get back from our trip to Colorado, Idaho, North Dakota, Wyoming then back interstate 80 then south through Kentucky back to Georgia hope to leave by the 11th of June
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

1rickw
Explorer
Explorer
my MH is a 2004, but the chassis is a Ford 2003. That is the usual way MH are done.
2004 Jamboree 26Q

+ great wife to travel with

:B
2012 Honda Fit towing 4 down with BrakeBuddy

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gonzo42 wrote:
our Winnie View was advertised to us as an '08, but then the DMV of the People's Republic of California decided the chassis was '07 and the MH was '08. Why the distinction and what possible difference does it make?

I don't understand how the DMV would have known one from the other. Don't you have just 1 registration/pink slip for the vehicle? I've never heard of a motorhome having 2 different registrations; 1 for the chassis and 1 for the coach.

Every motorhome that I've owned has had just one registration, with the motorhome manufacturer and model year listed on it. Never has the registration ALSO said Ford (or Chevy or...) along with the chassis year. Of course, maybe that's changed (my MH IS pretty old!). Do RV registrations now reflect both the coach manufacturer AND the chassis/engine manufacturer?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
If a motor home builder starts their new model year in February,March or April, as examples it's pretty much impossible to put it on the same year chassis, if the chassis builder doesn't change model years until the following August or September.
I bought a 2014 Itasca in March of 2013. It was built by Itasca in January of 2013, and put on a 2013 Ford E450 that was built in December 2012. No way could that MH go on a 2014 cab and chassis. It was actually a little ridiculous calling it a 2014 MH.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
1. My point was about why the DMV has to make a distinction between two years. Nothing about a conspiracy, but about why more red tape with no discernable benefit.

2. JIT involves among other things contracting for deliveries on a regular basis which can be speeded up or slowed down depending on sales expectations. This usually supposes a year's supply contracted in advance. This makes things easier for both parties.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
our Winnie View was advertised to us as an '08, but then the DMV of the People's Republic of California decided the chassis was '07 and the MH was '08. Why the distinction and what possible difference does it make?

It wasn't the DMV that decided it was a 2007, it was the chassis builder and the VIN for the vehicle that made it a 2007. Winnebago built their 2008 MH on a 2007 chassis. No government conspiracy involved or political shenanigans and bureaucracy fiascoes you mentioned in your other post. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
I was expectng the same thing but the chassis was built 6 months before the motorhome but all within '14...what surprised me and the tag lady...was two Titles one from ford and one from Fleetwood...thank goodness they had a tag lady that knew what to do...

georgia now has a new Title tag law...if you keep your vehicle it is great...if you trade every couple of years it can get expensive..

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
JIT may work in other operations but I don't think it will work great on a motorhome chassis. manufacturer's need to stockpile them so they are available when their customer's want/need them. what do they do when Ford, etc. goes on strike? stop selling motorhomes?
bumpy

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I have read all of this with great interest. My conclusion having worked as a manufacturing engineer (among other things) that all of this could have been avoided using well-known "just-in-time" manufacturing planning and scheduling.

Having said that, I really don't have any solution to the political shenanigans and beauracracy fiascos. I know I would run things differently using logic and reason. Never count on a govt to do that.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 is on a 2012 chasis......
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
My 2010 Coachmen is on a 2008 E450 chassis. 07 through 10 you may find many unusual parings as manufacturers had ordered cut-aways and the market tanked. In my case it's really convoluted as Forest River bought Coachmen and built the 2010 model with some visible, and invisible construction changes, and used one of the unused chassis from 08. Major impact is 1/3 of the tire life has already passed by the time it's delivered.

Couple of years ago I looked at a really neat looking Fleetwood Quest on a Sprinter. Opposing double slides. Research turned out that Fleetwood had made a special run of this design using leftover materials in the warehouse from 07. NO TWO WERE ALIKE. After using up the surplus components they never made that model again.

For registration purposes the date of the motor home build is used. You need to contact Ford to get your warranty start date adjusted to date of purchase.

Lucked out once when Camping World had a mis-registered Winnie (08 registered as an 07) and priced it as an 07. Not all was gold however, as there was a major engine change, but Winnie engineers didn't upgrade the frame extensions so I lost 1500 pounds of tow capacity.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS