cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering used Coach. How old is too old?

love2tow
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon,
My wife and I are in the infancy stages of research toward an rv purchase. I'm trying to start by casting a wide search net and then narrow it down over the next year or so.
Researching the brand new units seems straight forward minus the variations in build quality within the same companies...

But used coaches are something I don't have much insight on. Coming from travel trailers, I'm very hesitant to buy a used unit. But I have read a bunch of threads on "New or Used Class A" etc... and have been able to get some good information but I still have a couple of questions.

First, I see some coaches by Holiday Rambler, Tiffin, Damen, and others that I really like and seem to be in decent shape. But... they are from 2006-2008 or 8-10 years old. In theory, they are solidly in my price range, look to be in good shape and were pricey units when new. Am I going down a rabbit hole by looking at something this old? Even with good maintenance records and service history, age scares me when I haven't been the original owner.

Second, what is financing like for a used coach? Is there a cutoff age where banks will not lend or will jack the interest rates up to crazy levels?

My goal for my next unit is to keep it for a decent amount of time. I'm 33 and my wife is 34. We have two young kids. (A four year old daughter that LOVES camping and a 1 year old son who loves it but doesn't' know it yet.) We will not be able to upgrade coaches every couple of years so I need to make the right decision the first time. We are coming off of a terrible travel trailer experience (purchased new) so we are a bit timid about this entire process but know it is truly what we want to do.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in our journey.
Mark
2016 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x 6 speed manual. (Future TOAD?)
2014 Shadow Cruiser 313 BHS (Sold)
51 REPLIES 51

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting isn't it that banks will finance a new MH out to 15-20 years, but balk at a 10 year old unit? There are banks that will finance older units I'm sure, but I do know that the older it is, the higher the interest rate. Something to consider. Also, if you're buying a diesel, you have a the opportunity to find a nice unit WITHOUT the emission/DEF systems. Good luck.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
I would not consider a gas rig that didn't have fuel injection, having had a 1985 26' Class C with a caburated 460 motor. What a turkey that thing was - 6 mpg at sea level and around 4.5 at altitude. The amount of anti-smog gear boggled the mind!

Our later EFI-equipped, V10 32' Class A got a consistent 7.5 mpg, independent of altitude.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Just keep in mind that more often than not, the more expensive the coach was when built will determine how old or is. I love my 28 year old Prevost but I would not touch a 28 year old entry level Winnebago (or similar).

Our Bluebird is 26 years old. The build is fantastic! Do some systems need to be upgraded/repaired over time? Yes. But, that is happening to 10 year old MH's too. And, their "bones" are not nearly as good.

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
I lucked out big time. I purchased my 1995 Fleetwood Southwind Storm (28ft) P-30 454w/4L80E trans from Craigslist. The owner was a mechanic for Seattle bus transit and he personally replaced the roof, replaced exhaust gaskets just prior to my buying it. (I verified the work). Once bought I went ahead and serviced everything on it oil, radiator, trans, differential, rebuilt drive axle, new toilet etc...it had ~ 46,XXX miles (US) when purchased and I'm now at 51,XXX. I've taken a couple of 2000-2500 mile trip thus far and the only issue? Rebuilt the drive axle which started making a bit of noise that was ~ $450

The previous owner also kept it barned when not in use. He also incl. a new Tyvek cover as well.

I paid $8000 for it.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you want to finance, if it is too old to borrow against, then it is too old. For motor vehicles, many lenders cut of at ten years.

I have friends who have maintained and regularly used their A gas motorhomes for 10-15 years, others who have found fantastic bargains beyond 20 years, condition and maintenance are more important than calendar age. My 2004 C was built mid 2003, so now thirteen years old and has many more good years in it. What happens is that you stop losing money on depreciation and start putting it into repairs and preventive maintenance.

Other folks I've RVed with like to buy new and trade at three to five years, when the need for maintenance seems to stert growing. This puts quite a few RVs into the used market at this age, when they've lost about a third to half their value.

At which point you buy depends a lot on how much you are willing to spend, keeping in mind that a lower initial price may be accompanied by higher ongoing costs (but less cost financing and depreciation).
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
My concern with the higher end coaches as opposed to something built on the Ford or Workhorse gas chassis is that anything can break and usually will in the most remote little Podunk town. Parts can always be overnighted but the cheaper units use normal truck parts that pretty much any little auto part store has on the shelf. Maintenance is key to a used coach's condition but it's hard to know for sure how well something was taken care of. I'd tend to go no older than 10 years. If you take good care from that point on you should have years of use ahead. Appearance can be a problem. most coaches live outside and after 10 years don't look all that good. Tape striping goes bad and fiberglass gel coat gets dull. It really doesn't work to bring them back and a full paint job costs a lot.

This one spent its life outside still shines pretty good for almost 20 years old.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

love2tow
Explorer
Explorer
I can't thank you enough for all of your posts and the information you have provided. You have opened up a whole new category of motor home for my family and me. I do not plan on rushing anything. I don't plan on purchasing anything for at least a year and a half. (Unless I win the lottery). That gives me quite a bit of time to research and find the right unit.
Again, I really appreciate your responses so thank you
2016 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x 6 speed manual. (Future TOAD?)
2014 Shadow Cruiser 313 BHS (Sold)

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
My concern with the higher end coaches as opposed to something built on the Ford or Workhorse gas chassis is that anything can break and usually will in the most remote little Podunk town. Parts can always be overnighted but the cheaper units use normal truck parts that pretty much any little auto part store has on the shelf. Maintenance is key to a used coach's condition but it's hard to know for sure how well something was taken care of. I'd tend to go no older than 10 years. If you take good care from that point on you should have years of use ahead. Appearance can be a problem. most coaches live outside and after 10 years don't look all that good. Tape striping goes bad and fiberglass gel coat gets dull. It really doesn't work to bring them back and a full paint job costs a lot.

HackerAce
Explorer
Explorer
Our 1999 National Tropical serves us well. That said parts to wear out. We lost one of our air conditioners last weekend (nice to have a second one as backup) but that is to be expected.
John McKean

1999 National Tropical
1965 Shelby Cobra Factory Five MK III Kit
2015 Hyundai Genesis
2013 Polaris RZR 800 S

big_jim_2
Explorer II
Explorer II
The most important thing about used is it,s care. That trumps everything else! Our motorhome is a 2003 Fleetwood Bounder Diesel with 105,000 miles on it. it is stored inside when not on the road and is not exposed to salt or excess sun. Have we had trouble,yes but very little had anything to do with being a entry level diesel. Our most expensive repair was a new turbo. Little things like day-night shades a gasket on the slide, new slide motor ( didn't really need as the slide gasket kept getting caught.) We are now contemplating another Alaska trip and and the age and miles our not even a little concern! If for some reason we need a repair it's cost will pale when compared to the depreciation on a new unit. P.S. I have far more confidence in it making trouble free trip than a new unit.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased mine when it was 17 years old with not a single service record. :E So far so good.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Condition is the important factor when buying a used RV. There are good older motorhomes available.

Take your time, do a lot of research and ask questions. Don't be in a hurry to buy.

You will find something that fits your family, lifestyle and budget.

Use your search as a learning process. There's a lot to learn but, it's all fun stuff.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours was 10 yrs old when we bought it and now it's 16 yrs old with few problems that have needed repair. I would rather have an older quality coach than one of the new shoddy put together ones.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Just keep in mind that more often than not, the more expensive the coach was when built will determine how old or is. I love my 28 year old Prevost but I would not touch a 28 year old entry level Winnebago (or similar).

I sold our 44 years old Prevost just couple months ago and got emails from new owners that after taking it on first trip they are really amazed with quality.
It is hard to compare Royce-Rolls with wooden cart, but that is the situation with RV.
Good luck on your research.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
good advice above already. just remember that not all Holiday Ramblers are the same and neither are all Tiffens. Each manufacturer has entry level models and upper level models and they will all have the same brand name. Try taking a look at the Nada Guide for motorhomes. Don't take the numbers as what you should pay but rather use them as a point of reference when comparing specific coaches. Good luck in your search.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited