cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cracks in fiberglass on back of unit

dsisemore1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37F. While cleaning my motorhome the other day I noticed cracking in the fiberglass on the back of the unit. The cracks seemed to originate between the first and second rung of the ladder. Upon further inspection I noticed underneath the motorhome where the frame attached to the back of the unit it had come loose. It appears as if the frame was glued or somehow bonded to the bracket on the frame. I do not put anything on the ladder - I am the only driver and have not hit anything. The cracks seem to be surface cracks not caused by anything hitting the unit. Also, where the frame attaches and has come loose is located about two feet from the ladder so I am puzzled why the cracks started where they have. I cannot figure out what is going on has anyone come across this?
2 REPLIES 2

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is a Winnebago Adventurer 2006 It has the same cracks. Don't know why. I noticed ours after it was about 3 years old. . There doesn't seem to have any type of braces up in under there.
I sure don't see any thing to hook a brace onto.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without seeing a picture these sound like gel coat cracks, they are more common in the front and rear caps than on the sidewalls but can appear anywhere where the gel coat is thicker than .020. The surface looks fine leaving the show room but when a load is put on it such as a ladder load or vibratory load, small cracks appear but usually don't go into the FG substrate. Cracks emanating from screw holes are common because that is where the stress load is introduced into the laminate. Gel coat cracks can also be caused by heat (sun or engine heat) because the gel coat which is pure resin expands much more than the laminate it self. Bottom line is unless the cracks go into the FG it will not affect the structure.