cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dicor Roof Coating

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have watched a couple of YouTube videos and did a search and read a little but thought I would ask anyway. Weather permitting Saturday I'm gong to coat my rubber roof with Dicor two part EDPM rubber roof coating system. Anyone been there and done that have any tips or tricks? My roof is almost 20 years old and looks to be in great shape except for some areas that are black. I was going to just pull it off and put new rubber down.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU
9 REPLIES 9

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,
Yes, you can do it and it will turn out just fine. I did along with my son about 6 or so years ago on our previous coach a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V. About 99.9% of the white had just deteriorated away and the roof was almost all black. Talk about some serious added heat, WOW!!!

Yes, we did the Dicor two part system. It was a hot, very intensive day for the two of us. First, wash with soap and water, very aggressively. Then, apply the primer/prep solution they recommend. Then, when that's dry, apply your first coat of roof coating. Let that dry as long as possible and hit it with your second coat.

We sold our Bounder to our Daughter and Son in law and to this day, it still looks as good as when the coach was new. As stated, a long, hard, intense day but, it was done and will last for years. Good luck. Here's a pic of the after effect. I sure wish I'd have taken one of the before so you could see the massive difference.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

cougar88nw
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:

Did you pull up your a/c unit or roll around it? Looks great to me. I hope mine comes out that good.

I didn't remove the a/c unit but I did seal all the way up to the gasket/seal around the a/c unit. I had to use a small roller and a paint brush. I had enough material left over to coat the a/c area if it was to develop a leak and the seal had to be replaced. Keep in mind the EPDM under the A/C has never been exposed to sunlight, so it should be in great shape.
My TT is only a 27 footer and it took one gallon of primer and 3 gallons of top coat/elastomeric rubber roof. Make sure you have enough product to complete the job; I found the manufacturer's coverage chart to be incorrect. Be sure to tape off the edges of the RV so you can cover the corners and sides of the EPDM, since that's where most of the tension is and most water leaks start in this area too. I ran a thin bead of the Dicor (non-leveling) lap sealant on the edges of the EPDM, where it's secured under the metal drip railing. Good luck...posts some pics when you’re done:C
Pilot---Mark :C, Co Pilot (boss)Nancy:R
Children:
Alyssa :?, Corey :p, Matthew:h, Kaylyn :B

Dogs: Shih-Tzu's(other children)
Max , Shelby, Twiggles

TT 2001 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE
TV 2004 Ford Super Duty F-250 Diesel 6.0
Yamaha EF3000iSE/Honda EU2000i

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
The white on a rubber roof is just a coating to begin with. Meant to reflect the sun/heat. Seen many RV's down around the Mexican boarder that are being FT'ed in (but never move) with mostly black roofs and no leaks.

Did my 5'ver last winter with good results, total cost was $80 for two gallons of rubber roof coating. Time will only tell if it was a good solution or not. Trick is to make sure the coating can handle "ponding." All RV's will have some area that will hold water. Many of those coatings that are water clean up will dissolve if ponding occurs.

Removed everything but the AC. Used a brush to get under it as best I could then roller around that. First thing I did was resealed with Dicor lap sealant to make sure the roof was in water tight condition.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
cougar88nw wrote:
Didn't use the Dicor brand but the stuff we did use has a base coat (primer) and top coat just like the Dicor. I think our TT roof looks better than it did when new and the whole process wasn't that bad....just time consuming to do it right and make it last. Here's a link to my post if you are interested. Good Luck.

Clicky

Did you pull up your a/c unit or roll around it? Looks great to me. I hope mine comes out that good.
2015 Wrangler JKU

cougar88nw
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't use the Dicor brand but the stuff we did use has a base coat (primer) and top coat just like the Dicor. I think our TT roof looks better than it did when new and the whole process wasn't that bad....just time consuming to do it right and make it last. Here's a link to my post if you are interested. Good Luck.

Clicky
Pilot---Mark :C, Co Pilot (boss)Nancy:R
Children:
Alyssa :?, Corey :p, Matthew:h, Kaylyn :B

Dogs: Shih-Tzu's(other children)
Max , Shelby, Twiggles

TT 2001 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE
TV 2004 Ford Super Duty F-250 Diesel 6.0
Yamaha EF3000iSE/Honda EU2000i

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
I did it on a previous motor home and was very satisfied .
Lots and lots of prep work and follow instructions.
Time consuming but end result worth it

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I've done it. Have had it on for over five years. I don't notice any more white coming off of the roof than what came off the EDPM when I washed it. If you take your time you can get it looking good.

You need to do it when the temps are cool and no direct sun to get the best results.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Oooh******guess I should have asked before I bought everything lol :S
I will do it anyway and if necessary rip the rubber up next year.
2015 Wrangler JKU

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Do not do it. It is just a coating and will look like you just painted over the roof and will get chalky and will look horrible. We did one almost 13 years ago for a customer per Dicor's warranty back then, and after seeing the results, we determined we would never do another one. The customer was also disappointed. Doug