cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic refrig stopped working, burped it and all is good

daytripper63
Explorer
Explorer
Last weekend my Dometic model NDA1402 side by side refrigerator stopped cooling. I woke up Sunday to find water on the floor due to all the ice in the ice maker melted. I checked everything and all systems worked as they were supposed to both gas and electric so after checking everything and pricing new refrigerators and reading up on converting to a house fridge I pulled it out of the wall and tried doing what they call burping, plenty of what I read said it doesn't work on the newer refrigerators but I figured no harm in trying, so we turned the fridge on its side with the burner tube on the bottom side for about 10 minutes then upside down for 24 hours then over to the other side with the burner tube on the top side for 10 minutes then back on its feet and plugged it in and the next morning it was -1 in the freezer and 29 in the refrigerator. So brought new life back to my 7 year old Dometic.
2008 FLEETWOOD PROVIDENCE 40X
5 REPLIES 5

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I'm thinking residential myself if mine 1200 fails. Already have a 2000W inverter, four 6V batteries and rarely boondock. Do both normally fit trough the door?
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Please repost in 30 days to report if the refer is STILL operating to spec. Burping just rearranges the ammonia liquid and gas. A BLOCKAGE is a permanent buildup as hard as a weld. You CANNOT break it loose or vibrate it loose. The only way is to cut out the bad tubing section and weld a new tube in place. Burping is a temporary fix that sometimes (in your case) restores some operation. BUT, since you do have a blockage, the ammonia will slowly be blocked again and your refer will slowly stop cooling correctly. Doug

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Instead of burping I had success vibrating the coils on my NoCold 1200 when it would stop working. Went the Amish route for several years but when it started to stop working while traveling I finally gave up and went residential. In hindsight I threw more money down the NoCold rat hole than what it cost me to go residential. OP, start saving for a residential.
You can find my DIY installed by doing a search. With 500AH of batteries for it I can go 36 hours before needing to recharge them which is longer than the 800AH of house batteries can go before needing recharging when boondocking.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Glad that worked. Hope it last. At least you know how to remove and replace it. Big Plus. My 1200 LRIM going on 13 years. Still strong.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Start saving for a replacement now. 🙂
My Dometic side by side RM7732 is now 17 years 7 months old. Full time for the last 13 years 9 months.
No problems yet.

But I do have a residential one picked out for replacement when needed.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am