cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

drum brakes on f-53 chasis

windofthesouth
Explorer
Explorer
Got a brake on my left rear dually getting hot and Im pretty sure something is rubbing in there even when I'm not hitting the brakes. I'm gonna be pulling the drum off in the next couple of days and I'm looking for any helpful tips or info about any surprises I need to keep an eye out for. Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

TennTechMan
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the comment about spending money on pads. Especially with the weight of an RV behind you, you want all the stopping power you can get. Spending a little extra on pads is usually the easiest way to improve stopping distances.
-Aaron
1996 Winnebago Brave 33' - Ford F53 Chassis
Banks Power Pack and Trans Commander

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
I've not ever had problems with cheap calipers, but if you replace the pads, it is worth spending the $$ on premium pads. I have found that the premium quality pads have a much higher coefficient of friction, which means a lot less pedal effort for the same amount of stopping.
IRV2

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
windofthesouth wrote:
First of all thank you to everyone for taking time to reply, I think in the grand scheme of things I might have got lucky in that I do have disc in the rear. SO hopefully I can get my hands on some new calipers before this weekend.

While you're changing the calipers, I suggest you also change the rubber flex hose that feeds them. A complete flush of the fluid is also recommended, if it hasn't been done in the past couple of years.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TennTechMan
Explorer
Explorer
New calipers should be available at any local parts store. I replaced all of mine in the spring. I got mine from AutoZone. Seems like they were about $60 per corner. They have Ford F53 in their computers, but at the time, no parts were listed under that heading. Had them look up a F-450 of the same year, and thousands of miles later the calipers are doing great.
-Aaron
1996 Winnebago Brave 33' - Ford F53 Chassis
Banks Power Pack and Trans Commander

windofthesouth
Explorer
Explorer
First of all thank you to everyone for taking time to reply, I think in the grand scheme of things I might have got lucky in that I do have disc in the rear. SO hopefully I can get my hands on some new calipers before this weekend.

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Your '97 F53 chassis has disk brakes on both axles, no drums to pull. A sticking caliper is the most likely cause of the overheating.

AMEN

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
windofthesouth wrote:
Got a brake on my left rear dually getting hot and Im pretty sure something is rubbing in there even when I'm not hitting the brakes. I'm gonna be pulling the drum off in the next couple of days and I'm looking for any helpful tips or info about any surprises I need to keep an eye out for. Thanks.

Your '97 F53 chassis has disk brakes on both axles, no drums to pull. A sticking caliper is the most likely cause of the overheating.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

FuelFunnel
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you have drum brakes. Probably just a sticking caliper. You should be able to repair that without pulling the roter.

Kris

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
whem2fish wrote:
you do know you will pull the axel

Are you certain about having to pull the axle? I did a brake system overhaul on my brothers 1991 19' Chinook last fall and all I had to do was take off the rear dually's and the drums pulled right off the hub. I realize that his Chinook is a Class B+ rig but it still had a substantial heavy duty Ford (not Dana) rear axle.

Steve

whem2fish
Explorer
Explorer
you do know you will pull the axel