cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engine lugs down when starting generator

jrski
Explorer
Explorer
My RV is described in my signature below. My engine will lug down and die if I try to start the generator while the engine is cold and idling. If I use the battery boost the generator will start and not lug down the engine. After the generator is started and I rev the engine a little, the engine will run just fine when it warms up some. The chassis batteries are pretty new and the house batteries are in good shape. Any ideas why this happens?

JR
JR & Cookie
2003 Monaco Knight 32PBD, Cummins 315HP ISC w/Banks
2003 Jeep Wrangler
3 REPLIES 3

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
sounds like the starter on the Generator is pulling more than you battery, that your generator is hook to , can provide. So check cables to the generator, Also check the amps on the generator starter when cranking. You can also connect a battery direct to the generator starter and that will tell you if you have a bad cable. Remove the ground cable from the generator to do this test. Use heavy duty jumper cables.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Your generator starting batteries are probably not fully charged and the surge of draw necessary to start the generator causes the alternator to pick up the slack thus, putting a load on the engine that it isn't ready for. Once it warms up it might be in a better position to carry the load and not die. Once your batteries are fully charged, you shouldn't have the problem.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

deadbat
Explorer
Explorer
jrski wrote:
My RV is described in my signature below. My engine will lug down and die if I try to start the generator while the engine is cold and idling. If I use the battery boost the generator will start and not lug down the engine. After the generator is started and I rev the engine a little, the engine will run just fine when it warms up some. The chassis batteries are pretty new and the house batteries are in good shape. Any ideas why this happens?

JR

battery voltage too low and fuel switch shutting off