cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling ripped off on the cost of a front break job ?

behengold
Explorer
Explorer
I had my breaks checked at 74,000 mi on my 2000 Born Free E450. Was told I needed new pads and a right front caliper.The rotors were also turned.$600 later I picked it up and on my first trip I felt a shimmy in the wheel and tire on the right side.There was also a burnt plastic odor which I thought might be the new break pad.I took it back to the shop after 400mi to recheck.They told me I now had a warped rotor suggesting I must have been riding the breaks and overheated the rotor.This time they replaced both rotors and the other caliper costing another thousand dollars for a total of $1600. I guess I should have taken it right back to have them to redo the repair but I was 60 mi into my trip and figured it might be the new pads adjusting. What do I know,I'm not a mechanic. I'm wondering if they contributed to the problem by not doing the job correctly in the first place.I'm interested in other opinions as to the cost and whether they should have eaten some of the 2nd repair.
19 REPLIES 19

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
http://ebcrotors.com/c-82-ebc-brake-kits.aspx

E450 Pads and rotors $600

Basically they are just bolt-on parts so maybe $200 labor?

+ some for the caliper (if needed) and bleeding the brakes.

Yes it seems like a bit much to me but I do my own work mostly. I have long since quit turning rotors. Slap on the pads and let them wear in a bit or just put on new.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X3 find a new shop. take it in for a brake check up ,tell them your story,and you just want it right, have them inspect the rears while your there.

behengold
Explorer
Explorer
The breaks were fine before I had them check for wear.What's a reasonable cost for the work I had done?

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
it was warped before they turned them you got scamed

X2

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer