cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally Looked at Some New Class A's

JCGibson
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I finally went out to see some Class A's that are in stock at local dealers. We were able to see Thor Miramar, Thor Palazzo, Forest River Georgetown XL, and Itascas Sunstar, Suncruiser and Solei.

Out of these, we liked the Itasca units and Georgetown XL. Just didn't care for the Thor products for similar $$$. Our favorite out of the bunch was the Solei. I know it is just an entry level DP, but the build quality appeared great for the cost which was only a little more than Suncruiser gasser. It does only have a 5k hitch, but does have air ride and brakes among other DP items.

We still have many others to see to include Newmar Bay Star, Tiffin Allegro, Fleetwood Bounder & Excursion, and a few Winnebago products (I know they are similar to Itasca).

I think it is going to be tough for us to choose when we are ready.
John (USAF Retired) Cheryl (Mid School Teacher)
'16 Newmar Ventana 3709 Sold
'16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA traded
'11 Dodge 3500 Crewcab sold
'14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL sold
'12 Voltage V3200 sold
'09 BigHorn 3400 sold
'06 Jayco Octane sold
'04 Jayco Baja sold
7 REPLIES 7

KarenS144
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
KarenS144 wrote:
How exciting for you!!!

Our first Class A was a Georgetown 280. It was deemed an "entry level" (I really don't like that term) but it had everything we needed and we really enjoyed it for 3 years. What we didn't like was the ride and handling. Loud, rough and it was a wrestling match to keep it on the road in wind and when trucks passed.

what chassis was that georgetown on? that could make a lot of difference in the handling. i.e. if it was on the old chevy P-30/32 of course it handled like a bread truck cause that is what it was.
bumpy

It was the F53 but had 19.5" tires. We think that was a contributing factor to the handling issues. Our G'town was a 2011 model.
Karen
Paoli, IN

Traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433
with 1 Hubby and 2 Boxers!

RLHAMILTON
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you look at Berkshire and Charleston for best options/quality for money. Good luck!
DICK & JUDY HAMILTON
2012 WINNEBAGO JOURNEY
2017 EQUINOX TOAD
LIFETIME GOOD SAM MEMBER, FMCA, PP AMERICA
FMCA MEMBER F-386544

cbr46
Explorer
Explorer
Drive down to Red Bay AL and take the Tiffin tour
http://tiffinmotorhomes.com/about/factory-tour

It may well be out of your budget but the tour shows how their coaches are made, and it's guided (with personal radios so you can hear every word), close up, hands on and personal. You're literally rubbing elbows with the worker installing cabinets, making wiring harnesses, bolting chassis parts on, etc. At the end they just let you go. No 90 minute high pressure pitch with a sales schmuck, manager and finance slick. The product speaks for itself and they know it.

There's no way we'll be buying a Tiffin but the tour was well worth the time.

Good luck with your search.

Best,
- bob

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
KarenS144 wrote:
How exciting for you!!!

Our first Class A was a Georgetown 280. It was deemed an "entry level" (I really don't like that term) but it had everything we needed and we really enjoyed it for 3 years. What we didn't like was the ride and handling. Loud, rough and it was a wrestling match to keep it on the road in wind and when trucks passed.

what chassis was that georgetown on? that could make a lot of difference in the handling. i.e. if it was on the old chevy P-30/32 of course it handled like a bread truck cause that is what it was.
bumpy

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
KarenS144 wrote:

We sold the G'town last summer and now have an '11 Newmar Ventana. The difference is amazing. The quality of the materials used is evident and it's more comfortable and much easier to handle. We've looked at Bay Stars since purchasing our DP and they are very very nice! We toured the Newmar factory last fall and they're built on the same line at the same time as the rest of the Newmars. Customer service is top notch too.

We learned this lesson too, we had been looking for a DP for well over two years, we had owned almost every type of camper made. All had their plusses and minuses each did some thing we liked. but every entry level coach didn't have either the appliances we liked or the interior we liked or drove like a big box truck.

Then we discovered the big DP, and the first trip out of the house we new we couldn't go back. It drove like a bus, it gave better than average fuel milage, It was better built, smoother riding, towed better than other thing we had ever towed and better quality than any thing else we had owned or looked at.
It is 15 years old this year, we've owned it 5 of those years and have made almost every mistake we could, and find it repairs as easy as any other camper.
Like another product, buy quality. take care of it and it will take care of you.
Do not buy a coach made from re-constituted sawdust wrapped in vinyl to look like wood. and constructed in a manor that can't be repaired, from a company that may not be here 5-10 years from now, because that is when you will need them.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

KarenS144
Explorer
Explorer
How exciting for you!!!

We sold the G'town last summer and now have an '11 Newmar Ventana. The difference is amazing. The quality of the materials used is evident and it's more comfortable and much easier to handle. We've looked at Bay Stars since purchasing our DP and they are very very nice! We toured the Newmar factory last fall and they're built on the same line at the same time as the rest of the Newmars. Customer service is top notch too.

Have fun looking at the different coaches!
Karen
Paoli, IN

Traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433
with 1 Hubby and 2 Boxers!

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I was also looking and drove the Palazzo and the Solei. Took the same route with both coaches. The Palazzo had fewer rattles inside and seemed tighter. I was surprised but that is how it was. Unfortunately, found out I could not afford either.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"