cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Floor Wax on coach coming off

dpruettsms
Explorer
Explorer
I used high gloss floor wax on the exterior of my coach. I prepped it well and did the four separate coats as advised by bloggers from this site. 2004 Monaco Knight and the white gel coat was oxidized but not severe, well kept coach.
Coach still looks terrific other than the rear cap that has areas where the wax is coming off and oxidization is showing through.
How do I remove the floor wax from the cap. I have even tried wet 500 sand paper in a spot to help but has not done much good.
I will use the floor wax again once all is removed.

Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Click here for everything you need to know about Red Max Pro or ZEP floor finishes on your RV.

Basically, clean well, because any dirt or spots left on the RV will be sealed in by the finish. This is the hardest part. All soap residue must be removed or the finish will not adhere properly. After that it's simply wipe on the coats with 30 minutes between applications. It will start looking good after the third coat, and great after the fourth and fifth coats. Clean thoroughly once a year and apply another coat.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
How do you clean or prepare coach for this treatment?
Roland,Linda and Matt Schwarz, LuLu, MoMo and Chewy
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Catipillar C7
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4wd Drive II
Go Bucks!

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I used RedMax Pro because the PO had amateurs using high speed polishers ruin much of the gel coat. I removed the remaining gel coat, and tried waxes, which were fine for a while, but short of having gel coat reapplied at great cost, (more than I could afford) I tried Red Max acrylic floor finish. I am well pleased with the results. With no more work than applying wax every year, I end up with a good looking finish.

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
This application always sounded like a bandaid to me. Myself I would not do it. Your miles will vary.
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
ZEP and RedMax are NOT floor wax. They are acrylic floor finishes. They are not very good uv protectors, which is why it begins to peel after a season exposed to the sun. However, a good cleaning and re-application of a coat or two every year keeps it looking like new.

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
dpruettsms wrote:
I used Dep High Gloss Floor wax I believe, blue gallon bottle from Home Depot.
Did not even think of floor wax removal.

I used a spot that had come off without any prep and I could see the streaks from the old to the new. I will pry wax removal.

Thanks.

Make sure you buy the stripper that's made for the brand and type floor product you applied.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dpruettsms
Explorer
Explorer
I used Dep High Gloss Floor wax I believe, blue gallon bottle from Home Depot.
Did not even think of floor wax removal.

I used a spot that had come off without any prep and I could see the streaks from the old to the new. I will pry wax removal.

Thanks.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
i got a couple of runs down the side of mine when i did the roof. i used floor wax stripper and it worked fine but will take any wax off if you are trying to do a spot at a time and not the whole area

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what High Gloss you used.

I had a similar problem with Red Max after 2 years. All I did was clean the side that was affected, and replied Red Max.

Looks like new again, still, after one year.

I was concerned about how it would look going over the peeled area.

It was not a problem, blended in, looks like the original application.

Anyway, it works for me, your mileage may differ.
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic