cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford V10 with 4 speed or 5 speed transmission

skes
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at my first class A. I've settled in on a used 29 or 30 foot Winnebago. It looks like they changed from a 4 speed to a 5 speed in 2006. I'm wondering what difference I would expect to experience between the two transmissions. Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The top two gear ratios are the same between the two transmissions, I believe, so there's not a whole lot of difference on the highway where it generally is in one of those two gears (and the gap between them is plenty large). That being said, the controller for the five speed is rather more sophisticated and it has tow/haul mode rather than a simple overdrive off, and tow/haul is a definite plus for a motorhome.

Both are pretty reliable transmissions if given appropriate care and feeding. The five speed might be a little bit sturdier overall, possibly.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Night and day from my two previous Tahoe four speeds to the 2015 six.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad