Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help Needed: Rear axle is leaking lube - RV was sitting

TDInewguy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!

I'm about to hit the road and head to Texas from the cold north (Minnesota) and in prepping the RV I noticed two puddles about 6-8" in diamater dripping off each rear brake drum.

I've got a 2002 Itasca Horizon with the 3126E CAT motor and Allison 3000. So it's a pusher with the big rear axle.

It was very very cold overnight a few days ago and I was heating the interior of the barn with a propane heater - to work, but it never got very "warm" inside, but there was a fair amount of humidity from the non vented combustion.

Anyhow - The coach has 110,000 miles and the rear has NEVER leaked anything - and while sitting there in the cold it puked quite a bit of lube out of each axle seal.

Here is one brake drum:

Here is the puddle of oil:

The other brake drum:

The other oil puddle:

Thoughts? What should I do?
SSSStefan

2009 Newmar AllStar 4154
2014 VW Passat TDI - toad!
Featherlite 28' Enclosed car hauler
1966 GTO - super cool car as seen on Driven1
27 REPLIES 27

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
If you pack the outside bearing the gear oil will not flow to the inside bearing.

1. If you put some grease on the outer, why would you NOT do the same to the inner?

2. The oil will eat away the grease very quickly.

3. :packing" may be the wrong term here. Usually just some grease, to be sure the bearing is lubed right away. Not packed, like one would do on a grease only bearing.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If you pack the outside bearing the gear oil will not flow to the inside bearing.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Well Gang,
First off, while it "could" be possible that the vent all of a sudden clogged up, I'm not sure it's likely. The reason I say that is, those seals have been fine for well over 110K miles. Then, for them BOTH to go bad at one time, due to a vent that clogged while sitting in a dormant state, well, who really knows?? And, based on the OPs statement that it's really cold there, wouldn't that preclude that there should be NO PRESSURE built up inside that axle housing, during its rest period inside the barn? But, even with zero pressure inside that axle housing, since the oil is constantly against the bottom side of those seals, I guess it could just happen.

If the barn was really hot inside, like during a really hot summer, and this situation happened then, I think I could see that, if the vent had clogged, the built up pressure would have no place to go but, through maybe both wheel seals. Just a thought. But, again, stranger things have happened. We'll have to see what the OP does.
Scott

The vent was not likely the cause but what will it hurt to check it anyway? They do plug up from road grime from time to time.
How would the seals go bad in a cold barn sitting there?
They probably started leaking the last time it was driven and then parked. We are just second guessing here!!

It sounds like OP is on top of getting it fixed.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

TDInewguy
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone - thank you all for your time and thoughtful replies.

After getting the new oil pan installed (the old one had gotten a pinhole rust leak...)

I put up the white flag and found a local truck repair shop that is open and does work 24/7 - so it's now over there for them to do the seals. I didn't have the time over the next few days to tackle this in the cold barn...

So I'll be on the road next week headed to Fort Worth!

SSSStefan

2009 Newmar AllStar 4154
2014 VW Passat TDI - toad!
Featherlite 28' Enclosed car hauler
1966 GTO - super cool car as seen on Driven1

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
John Wayne wrote:
If your going to clean the bearings as well as Fireup did I'd hand pack them before I put it all back together.

Is this correct for this axle? Shouldn't the bearing be lubed by the oil and not packed in grease?

Bill

A lot of mechanics will put grease on the bearings, even though they are normally oil lubed. Ensures lubrication IMMEDIATELY, before the oil might get there. Just insurance. The grease will melt into the oil pretty quick, and will disappear.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Gang,
First off, while it "could" be possible that the vent all of a sudden clogged up, I'm not sure it's likely. The reason I say that is, those seals have been fine for well over 110K miles. Then, for them BOTH to go bad at one time, due to a vent that clogged while sitting in a dormant state, well, who really knows?? And, based on the OPs statement that it's really cold there, wouldn't that preclude that there should be NO PRESSURE built up inside that axle housing, during its rest period inside the barn? But, even with zero pressure inside that axle housing, since the oil is constantly against the bottom side of those seals, I guess it could just happen.

If the barn was really hot inside, like during a really hot summer, and this situation happened then, I think I could see that, if the vent had clogged, the built up pressure would have no place to go but, through maybe both wheel seals. Just a thought. But, again, stranger things have happened. We'll have to see what the OP does.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Most times wheel seals fail is from wheels being overheated ( braking on hills) or sitting for a long time and then used. Sometimes they just age out as well.
If you drive it this way you will have a real mess to clean up and yes you will have to replace the shoes. Right now if the shoes are not really oily I would use brake clean to clean them.
Like mentioned above check the vent on the top of the diff.they sometimes plug up and create pressure enough to cause a seal to go. The ony time I have seen 2 at once like that is from overheat.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you do not open up the vent when you replace the seals, expect this to happen again as soon as the temperature increases within the differential. This might take lass than 100 miles of driving depending on how long it takes the fluid to warm up and build up enough pressure to force it out of the seals again.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
John Wayne wrote:
If your going to clean the bearings as well as Fireup did I'd hand pack them before I put it all back together.

Is this correct for this axle? Shouldn't the bearing be lubed by the oil and not packed in grease?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
You should've headed south sooner, the cold got you. There is no need to replace the good looking brake shoes but the oil needs to be burned out of them with a torch. If I was doing it myself I would do the one side with the major leak and not worry about the other side as warmer temperatures may solve the problem.

I disagree. It is possible that the warmer weather will stop the leak. But, the fact it leaked, shows it is bad. Replace it now. It will need replacing soon anyway, might as well do them both at the same time.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on the vent and great pics on the repair. if your handy go for it ,just shame its so darn cold .get a couple buddies and get it done.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would see if you have a vent on top of the axle to check to see if it became plugged and would not allow excess pressure to be released instead of forcing axle fluid out the seals.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
TDInewguy wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
You should've headed south sooner, the cold got you. There is no need to replace the good looking brake shoes but the oil needs to be burned out of them with a torch. If I was doing it myself I would do the one side with the major leak and not worry about the other side as warmer temperatures may solve the problem.

I travel for work and use the rig... So the dallas/Fort Worth run is to demo a large LED video wall at a church...

I'm wondering if I'm better off taking it all apart at home in the barn - or if I should run it into a shop and then risk the brake shoes becoming all greased up.

I did check this evening and the puddle is larger, so it's still leaking. I just found it surprising that both sides decided to let go at the same time!

Any advice for a first timer at replacing the seals?

Well Sir,
Iv'e done the axle seal replacement on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36DG with the C-7 330HP CAT. I don't know just how much you know about that kind of work or, what you're experience level is but, in all reality, it's actually a very simple job. It's just like doing it on a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup only, A LOT BIGGER!

As for the reason they both gave-way at the same time, who the heck knows??? Maybe a quick temp change coupled with age, miles and natural deterioration etc. Probably not a good idea to drive it if, those brake shoes are still salvagable. Yeah, they may have soaked up a bit but, as has been stated, there's a couple of ways of extracting the oil out of them and allowing them to prolong life.

I've done it many, many times with "Brake-Kleen" or, any number of those aerosols that have a high evaporation rate that's designed for this kind of problem. Anyway, again, your own skill level will dictate what your approach is. If you're not sure of the procedure, it's not very hard.

1. Jack up one end of the axle at a time.
2. You can brake loose all the axle bolts and remove the axle with the wheels and tires still on. But, that procedure to me, is a pain in the a$$.
3. I'd rather remove the tires and wheels. That way, all you have to deal with is the bulky drum. Most of the time, once the tires and wheels are off, the brake drum will come right off too, leaving the hub itself to be removed.
4. Remove the outside hub retaining nut.
5. Remove the spacer/tab/lock ring
6. Remove the inner hub nut
7. Remove the Hub.

Now, you've exposed all the innards. You can take the hub to a bench to do the R&R of the seal. But first, if you decide those shoes are salvageable, I'd begin spraying with Brake-Kleen or whatever your choice is so the process begins extracting the diff oil from them.

Go to work on the hub. Go back every once in a while and re-spray the shoes to keep trying to get ALL the oil out of them. Do that procedure 'till you think you've got it all out.

As for the seal replacement. 'This is where it can get tricky. The seal itself is around 5 - 6" in diameter, if I recall. And, trying to re-install the new seal without damaging a $40 seal, is somewhat a pain, unless you have some sort of either home made tool or, something that, when pounded on, will exert equal amount of pressure ALL THE WAY AROUND that seal, like a GIANT seal driver. I made mine. It worked absolutely flawless.

Now, just make sure every thing is clean, and put it all back together, using the correct specs on those hub nuts. Simple. Go to the other side and repeat. Each side might take you about 2-3 hours, depending on your skill level and, having the correct tools, jacks, blocking and all that. Oh, by the way, you'll need a torque wrench to apply the 450 ft. lbs. of torque on all those lug nuts. Good luck.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND