cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Winnebago Journey - not starting / cranking

db_wi
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a 2200 mile trip and was going to bring the rv back to storage location and rv will not start. Turn the key and all lights appear normal then try and start and nothing happens. Battery levels are fine and tranmission is in neutral.

Since it's not even cranking I'm leaning toward starter or bad neutral safety switch.

I did wash the rv the day before the issues started but can't think anything that did different this time and never had the problem before. One strange thing I notice now is the two fans for the ac come on when I turn the key and have never noticed that before.

Any other ideas

2003 Winnebago Journey 34H - 5.9 Cummins

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

db_wi
Explorer
Explorer
Spizzer wrote:
I have a Journey that does the same thing intermittently. There are five things that are in the circuit on mine (07). The ignition switch energizes a relay in the front relay panel. that signal travels to the back of the coach. In a chassis relay panel in the back, there is a relay that is energized when the transmission is in neutral. this allows the signal to then travel to the starter relay which closes allowing a current from the batteries to go to the starter.

My chassis relay panels are in the drivers side in the last bay with the shore power. On the left side there is a plastic cover held on by a few nuts. Inside is a huge relay tower, which is the last one in the path before the starter. It has to big cables on the top and two smaller ones at the base. The smaller ones are the ground and power coming from the transmission relay and front relay and ignition switch. If you jump across the to large terminals with a screwdriver, the engine will crank if the battery and starter are good.

I have not been able to trouble shoot mine as it always happens when I don't have the luxury ....like right after I have filled up at a station, etc. So I just grab my screwdriver and start it. It won't happen again for maybe 50 starts. We just took a 5 week trip this summer and it happened one time. The first time it happened it was dark and I was sitting in front of the registration office at a campground. Freightliner tech support talked me through the jump start to get me going. Didn't happen again for some time.

Before you do start it, throw a meter on the line coming to the relay and see if you have power when the ignition switch is turned to start. The transmission relay is on the right side of the bay behind a metal panel held on by a bunch of screws....not a quick removal. I left mine off for a long time waiting for a chance to trouble shoot but eventiallly put it back on.

Good luck. If you need pictures of what mine looks like, let me know.

jeff

Thanks for the detailed response. I was able to start the rv last night.

I disconnected the chassis batteries yesterday morning and reconnected last night and it started right up. Connections seemed fine before disconnecting so I don't think it was a bad battery connection and not sure if anything is "reset" by not having batteries connected for 11 hours.

I'm thinking the issue is similar to your issue and hopefully wont happen that often. I will check my last bay to see if I have the same layout so if I ever need to start by jumping the terminals. Thanks again

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Journey that does the same thing intermittently. There are five things that are in the circuit on mine (07). The ignition switch energizes a relay in the front relay panel. that signal travels to the back of the coach. In a chassis relay panel in the back, there is a relay that is energized when the transmission is in neutral. this allows the signal to then travel to the starter relay which closes allowing a current from the batteries to go to the starter.

My chassis relay panels are in the drivers side in the last bay with the shore power. On the left side there is a plastic cover held on by a few nuts. Inside is a huge relay tower, which is the last one in the path before the starter. It has to big cables on the top and two smaller ones at the base. The smaller ones are the ground and power coming from the transmission relay and front relay and ignition switch. If you jump across the to large terminals with a screwdriver, the engine will crank if the battery and starter are good.

I have not been able to trouble shoot mine as it always happens when I don't have the luxury ....like right after I have filled up at a station, etc. So I just grab my screwdriver and start it. It won't happen again for maybe 50 starts. We just took a 5 week trip this summer and it happened one time. The first time it happened it was dark and I was sitting in front of the registration office at a campground. Freightliner tech support talked me through the jump start to get me going. Didn't happen again for some time.

Before you do start it, throw a meter on the line coming to the relay and see if you have power when the ignition switch is turned to start. The transmission relay is on the right side of the bay behind a metal panel held on by a bunch of screws....not a quick removal. I left mine off for a long time waiting for a chance to trouble shoot but eventiallly put it back on.

Good luck. If you need pictures of what mine looks like, let me know.

jeff
Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One

db_wi
Explorer
Explorer
It displays a single 'N' and I than press 'N' again and it than displays 'NN'. I than try to start with no success.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Does the Allison shift pad illuminate as usual when the key is turned on?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

db_wi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick reply.

Replaced both batteries before trip, so should be okay. And it's acting different then a bad battery no "clicking". I will double check connections when I get home.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
start simple ,pull the battery post and clean ,and if this is the org battery ? have it test under load, any auto shop does this free ,could be it just died.