cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House Batteries Dead

jgmace
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom Class A this summer. We plan to use it during the January - April time frame. I live in a Condo complex so have to store it offsite. I have been going down ever couple of weeks to start the coach engine and generator. After a 3 week period I started the coach but found the house batteries dead. I replace the batteries and 3 weeks later they were dead again. I obviously have something depleting the batteries, even though I hit the 12v isolation switch on the dash and verified no 12v power. My question now is, what is the best way to jump start the generator to recharge the house batteries. I have no ability to plug into house current.

Apreciate ny help you can offer.

J
17 REPLIES 17

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly you have a Battery Boost switch on the dash that ties both battery systems together. Must hold it down while starting generator. That switch may have another name.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
If you start the rig then you should be able to start the genny in a few minutes.
Engine alternator should charge house batteries
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start the main engine, and let it run for maybe a minute...then start the generator. Assuming your battery isolator is working decently, this probably would be enough.

If you have an emergency start switch for the main engine, it might also let you start the generator as it simply connects the two battery banks together when you press it down. Often it's the same contactor as the battery isolator system to bridge the two together.