cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we install adjustable shelving?

Sandy___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Our 3 small hanging closets are all short so that the bed can slide under them.

We keep a small laundry basket in one of them which limits the clothing space and the space over the basket is basically wasted.

We want to install one of those systems where you attach rails to the wall and then use brackets to adjust the placement of each shelf.

Problem, this is a motor home, it moves and goes over bumps!

Has anyone done this?

Who makes an adjustable bracket that can basically lock into the wall track and allows you to permanently attack the shelf board to it? Undo the wall track lock if you want to move it up or down.

Any ideas on how to keep things (shoes, towels, no glassware!) from falling off the shelves while driving down the road?
Proud members of the S.K.I. club . . . $pending our Kids Inheritance

Their inheritance is now a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 378XL
5 REPLIES 5

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your concerns are that the walls where the rails attach are flexing too much, the best answer I can offer is to reinforce them. Bumpy's plywood suggestion would be one way. Another possibility would be to get some smallish square aluminum tubing and attach the rails to that (and that to the walls). The aluminum would almost certainly be lighter for the same stiffness/strength, though that may not matter in your situation. You might also be able to add some framing members to key places in the walls if you remove one or the other of the pieces of paneling (assuming there are two panels).

A set of sawtooth shelf supports and cleats (google has pictures/info) might also work out nicely. Making them is well within the reach of a careful DIY woodworker, though it would be rather finicky work.

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
This is what came in my motor home,

clickey to HD

and I have added much more. It's fairly cheap and only about an eighth of an inch thick so it doesn't intrude into the space very much and has clips that can be adjusted but I have never had one fall out and I have them in linen closets and kitchen cabinets and medicine cabinets. I used small screws into the sides.

Once those are in you just cut the shelf to fit between the rails. HD and Lowes and others will have this in stock.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
instead of directly fastening the brackets to the walls, I would cut thin plywood to fit the side walls, measure and mount the brackets,then put the plywood into the closet.
bumpy

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I used when converting our 2 small closets.Then get some shelving material from Lows/Home Depot, etc.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used the standard adjustable shelving system that is available at most Home Depots and Lowes. If you look at them they have the side rails and brackets that go in to slots and then slide down a little to lock them in place. To keep them from popping out while on the road, all you need to do is put a sheet metal screw in the slot right above the bracket. This will prevent it from moving up in the rail and coming out. If you need to move the bracket, just remove the screw first.