cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HWH kick down jack springs

vegasken34
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone replaced the springs on the older HWH kick down jacks?
The front ones were do able but I can not figure how to do the rear.
It appears you have to replace both of the springs at once.
Above my feeble mind. HELP please!!!!
5 REPLIES 5

vegasken34
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I have decided that using 2 come a longs is the easiest answer, pulling both springs at once. Wish me luck!!!!

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
mrwizard has it right. use a ratchet strap.
hook one end of the spring in the foot, then hook one side to the yoke. loop it around the top of the jack. hook the ratchet strap into the end of the second spring. tighten it up to stretch the second spring, long enough to hook it into the other side of the foot. use a hammer on the yoke to move it into correct position. i know you've done this before, so this is for first time dyi folks.

MrWizard
When I did the front springs on our previous MH, I used a ratchet strap to pull..extend the spring
You Might be able to do the same thing with the rear jacks..must be some place under there to attach one end of the strap

In my case... jacks up retracted attached new spring to top hole first
Attach ratchet to spring
Tighten ratchet
Stretch spring to reach base plate

Repeat for second spring
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

blazenpm
Explorer
Explorer
I was successful in replacing my front kick down jack springs with the help of my nephew and a lot of gur work. Later I planned to replace my rear springs. I analyzed the situation. I developed a method that I was easily able to install my springs by myself with a minimum of effort. With the spring in the stored position I easily installed the inside spring carefully laid the cross bar and hooked the outside spring to the crossbar. Now this is where the effort begins. I used a heavy duty S hook on the base plate end of the spring then I used a pry bar with ( like a crow bar, small) to hook onto the bottom of the outside spring. Carefully watching the upper crossbar and keeping it centered and also watching the inside spring position, I begin to pull or extend the outside spring until it reaches the proper distance to be inserted into the base plate. Now the crowbar is inserted into the heavy duty S hook. This extends the distance that you can pull the outside spring. Then Voula! the spring slips into the base plate slot. Done job. I couldn't believe it how easy it was. And the manual says only to be preformed by qualified professionals. I guess I am now a qualified professional. Good luck. I make no claims or guarantees for anybody elses attempts to install their own jack springs. I am not responsible for any injuries that might or may occur.

Tntman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 chassis and the springs on my rear jacks had to be replaced. The mechanic hung on the base plate and moved it out to the side, replaced both springs and hung on the base plate again and placed the plate back on the ram. The mechanic was about three hundred pounds.
ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654