cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

INCREASING lpg capacity ?

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
Are older tanks worth the effort or the expense? Does anyone actually check dates of manufacture ? Best to just buy new ? Best deals ?
40 REPLIES 40

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
X2 But he might be in California with its high prices.
That's exactly where I'm at.:C
I checked them at the Mecca truck stop and a convenience store I can't remember where.. both $30.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Tom_M wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Tom_M wrote:
Just did a search at Costco.com and the only thing listed was a 5-lb cylinder.
Hmm.. that's a 5 gallon container, and weighs a lot more than 5lb. Typo?
I think it is a 5 lb. Nowhere does it mention 5 gal. One of the reviews mentions that they needed a smaller tank then a 20lb.

A 5 LB tank holds 1 gallon of LP. A 20 lb tank holds slightly less than 5 gallons LP. Funny how this thread is about MOTORHOME ASME tanks and the thread has been hijacked by DOT tank threads. Doug

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Tom_M wrote:
Just did a search at Costco.com and the only thing listed was a 5-lb cylinder.
Hmm.. that's a 5 gallon container, and weighs a lot more than 5lb. Typo?
I think it is a 5 lb. Nowhere does it mention 5 gal. One of the reviews mentions that they needed a smaller tank then a 20lb.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

X2 But he might be in California with it's high prices.
That's exactly where I'm at.:C
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:
2oldman wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
check the date as it could 12 years to go or less than a year..
I used to assume I was getting a fairly new tank.. until I actually checked the date as a park I was staying at was real fussy about the tank's age. Some were over 10 years old.. and that included the entire rack.
As long as they're not over 12 years, they're still OK/legal.:W

Absolutely, but if you are buying it to refill at a lower cost get one with more age left. Exchange - no worry.

2oldman wrote:
4x4van wrote:
you can simply exchange an old one for a relatively new one, already full (albeit a bit under-filled) for $20?
They're $30 now.
I've never seen them over $25. They're currently $20 at Walmart.:h

X2 But he might be in California with it's high prices.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
I used to assume I was getting a fairly new tank.. until I actually checked the date as a park I was staying at was real fussy about the tank's age. Some were over 10 years old.. and that included the entire rack.
As long as they're not over 12 years, they're still OK/legal.:W

2oldman wrote:
4x4van wrote:
you can simply exchange an old one for a relatively new one, already full (albeit a bit under-filled) for $20?
They're $30 now.
I've never seen them over $25. They're currently $20 at Walmart.:h
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

Zieman Jetski Trailer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you exchange a portable tank be sure to check the date as it could 12 years to go or less than a year. Or maybe even out of date. This assumes you want to refill it at lower cost.

ie You will be getting a used tank, not a new tank.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guyz โ€ฆ. No โ€ฆ Iโ€™m looking at changing and/or adding permanent ATTACHED TO THE MOTOR HOME tank or tanks. Iโ€™ve found a brand new 29 gallon tank that I think could replace the one thatโ€™s attached to the underneath of the motor home now โ€ฆ. But Iโ€™d kind of like to get a larger one than that

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
LandYacht35diesel wrote:
Are older tanks worth the effort or the expense? Does anyone actually check dates of manufacture ? Best to just buy new ? Best deals ?

Two answers:
For "luggable" tanks. Yes they do check the dates. however many places can re-certify and you are good for another x years (10 I think but don't quote me)

On "Fixed" tanks (IE: class A) some will and yammer "out of date" but they are not supposed to do that..

Increasing capacity.
Luggable tanks easiest is to get a 3rd tank. or even easier. With a two tank system you have an auto-change over regulator.. The arrow on the manual valve points to the "in use" tank. and the indicator shows Red or Green. When it goes to RED flip the valve .then close the tank valve on the now empty tank and get it refilled.. when the other tank shows red. Flip back and .. .this goes on and on and on.

I had a single tank luggable trailer and a spare tank. Same process only when it went RED I changed tanks..

NOTE method 1 is how we did it at my parent's house for a lot of years with 100 pound luggables.

On a Class A. if you need to extend your stay.. Well Extend-a-Stay used to be made by marshall Brass (I think they discontinued but do not know if they brought it back) Stay-a-while, is a competing (identical near as I can tell but.. not all that "near") device.

It goes between the Valve on the tank and the regulator.
It has
One POL male fitting
One POL female (These are still used on Fixed tanks)
One "Quick Disconnect" fitting capped This is like a throw-a-way Propane bottle (the 1 pounders or there abouts)
And an "inlet" (This is a smaller plugged fitting)

Comes with a 5' "inlet" hose (Well some of 'em do) and optionally a 10' Quick Disconnect Extension hose.

Hook your Gas Grill to the RV's tank
Hook your luggable grill tank to the RV
Works both ways.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
They're $30 now.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
I thought you had asked this question months ago on a previous post?
Yes, a similar post on Oct 12.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I thought you had asked this question months ago on a previous post? Well, anyway, You must have a LP Genset. Increasing the Motorhome ASME tank capacity which would mean replacing the existing tank would probably NOT yield much more gallons for the cost. Ballpark of a new 100 lb ASME tank is about $1200 to $1500, then labor. That yields 25 gallons Liquid LP. 20 to 22 hours of LP genset operation. HOW big is your existing tank? Years ago, Airstream (1980 to 1982) built a Class A(26 or 28 forget which) Diesel with an Isuzu Diesel engine up front in place of the Chevy 454. They installed 2 ASME LP tanks. Small one on left side up(For all LP appliances except Genset) and a larger one(for LP Genset) on the right side up front. Your model A/S, there will be no way to add an AMSE tank unless you take out some lower outside Storage compartments. Doug

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
As KD4UPL said, if we are talking about the standard size BBQ cylinder, then simply exchange if yours is getting old in the tooth. Why pay $40+ dollars for a new empty cylinder and then pay to fill it, when you can simply exchange an old one for a relatively new one, already full (albeit a bit under-filled) for $20? Then simply refill as needed till it also gets old; and repeat. The only reason I can see to buy a new cylinder is if you want an "additional" one. And even then, you can "buy" a cylinder from the exchange places as well. Is it new? No, but it is new enough. They can't legally have them available for exchange if they have expired.

Of course if you want/need a 30 or 40 pounder, then the exchange is a non-issue. And fixed "tanks" on an RV is a whole different conversion, as they do not require certification/replacement.

Zieman Jetski Trailer

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
. If one of yours needs re certification you can exchange it at a Blue Rhino or other exchange place and get a newer one.
Be careful and check the dates. Many stations do not offer newer tanks.