cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing an inverter in my Winndbago Journey

warrenjo46
Explorer
Explorer
I decided I would like to have 120 AC available in my motorhome when I am not on shore power without running the generator. I bought a 2500 Watt inverter on line and a 50 amp automatic transfer switch. Installing the inverter and the transfer switch became complicated due to space considerations.

I decided I could install just the inverter but I wanted to make absolutely certain I did not connect the inverter and shore power or generator at the same time. I know that would not be a happy event. But I wanted the inverter to power outlets inside the MH. I needed a way to wire the inverter into the AC system of the MH that would be fool proof. That is why the automatic transfer switch seemed necessary.

I have an epiphany at 3:00 an. Just install the inverter in the compartment with the 50 amp shore power cord. Use a 50 to 30 amp adapter and 30 to 20 amp adapter to connect the shore power cord to the inverter whenever I disconnect the shore power. That way I cannot connect the shore power and the inverter at the same. The automatic transfer switch already in the MH will insure that the generator will not connect when the inverter is providing AC.

I am returning the new automatic transfer switch I purchased for this installation and saving $150.
18 REPLIES 18

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Just be sure to install your inverter close to your batteries to keep the 12 volt DC lines short. Then you can run a 12 AWG power cord to your 50 amp plug. You can buy a 50 amp - 15 amp adapter.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Many of us do simply add a female RV outlet and then power that from the inverter.

Which inverter did you purchase?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are connected to shore power why you you need your inverter?

Are you confusing inverters and converters?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad