cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter for 86 Toyota Dolphin

turiyahill
Explorer
Explorer
Grateful for recommendations for an inverter. I mainly need something for my laptop and occasional use of a hair dryer.

turiyahill
6 REPLIES 6

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
We are talking about a Toyota 1 ton 4 cylinder (I suspect) small class C. Doubt it has a battery bank that could possibly support a 2000 watt inverter.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

For the hair drier a Xantrex ProWatt 2000 watt unit. $355 from bestconverters.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have much carrying capacity in your Dolphin. Adding a large enough inverter and the batteries it would take to successfully power a hair dryer would NOT be a good idea from either a weight or cost standpoint.

Laptop and TV are completely different and are quite reasonable to power from a small inverter. Add up the total load and double it for size of inverter, as they are more efficient when NOT at 100% of capacity.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Hair dryer, Go Power 2000 watt and four batteries to power it.
Laptop, Go Power 300w sine wave, use existing battery and 12v connection.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don Rowe site Inverter FAQ
Inverters by Phred
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
A hair dryer is actually a quite heavy load, one of the highest that an inverter will see. My wife's hair dryer is rated at 1500 watts on high. So you'd need to be looking at a 1500 to 2000 watt inverter, pure sine is best, and around 300 AH of batteries. I'd personally let my hair air-dry, but I am about bald, it takes about 3 minutes... ๐Ÿ™‚ The main issue with batteries is actually less the amount of energy you will pull out of the batteries, which will be 125 - 145 amps at 12 volts nominal, since you will probably only use the hair dryer for 5 - 10 minutes a day, but the quite high rate at which you will drain the batteries for that 10 minutes. That needs good batteries and quite heavy wiring. This won't be a plug into the cigar lighter kind of deal, it will be custom made cables that are about a half inch in diameter.

Once you get into that kind of inverter you need to deal with the battery charging, you may already have a good modern 3 stage charger in your converter which would do fine, but if you have the old style Magnatech converter still installed you'll want to either look at inverters with a built in charger or a converter upgrade. You'll want around 45 - 55 amps of charger to charge the batteries you'll need reasonably quickly.

Hope this helps

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper