cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter Upgrade

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Winnebago Voyage 35L just upgraded to lithium, new converter etc. Now I would like to upgrade the inverter from the 600 watt to about 2000. The 600 watt powers the front TV, two front outlets, and the rear TV. How hard would it be to power all the 15 and 20 amp breakers on the load center? Just want to power the outlets, possibly the microwave. I know a little about electrical stuff, but far from an expert. Is this something I could do myself? All
Ideas and input appreciated!
17 REPLIES 17

Bruce_Brown
Good advice offered above.

The only thing I would add is we have a 2000 watt inverter and our microwave does NOT like running on it. It'll run but it's not happy about it, to the point we simply don't do it.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The simple way is to plug in the shore power cord to the inverter, while turning off the converter. Fridge set to propane.

If that works out well, then add a sub panel for the items you don't wish to power from the inverter.

Is the RV a 30 amp service?

How many amp-hours of battery bank do you have?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
As long as you learn and follow the basics of 120V wiring codes so that the change over is safe then it's reasonable. Keep in mind that a 15A AC draw is about 165A DC which is a large battery discharge with the inverter. So other factors like battery capacity, how to recharge them etc are factors. Likely your 600W inverter DC wires are inadequate.

ie Look at the big picture and your usage to see if it meets your obectives.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob