cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jacks

Happy_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
My stbalizating jack has been slow for years.Now it won't retract at all without help from a small floor jack. Camping world said I need a new jack they would check the Mfg and call me back.. Nary a word after a month and an hour labor charge $109.

Searching I see many RVers have the same jack issues. I would think a simple pump and one way cyclinder would be reliable and trouble free
But it does not appear to be. I have cleaned the piston and lubed to no avail. As you can see I am frustrated with the whole situation today. I will better tomorrow.
Travel Safe - Enjoy
Happy Jim
1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
2006 Chevy HHR Toad
20 REPLIES 20

charwan
Explorer
Explorer
To make sure its the cyl. just loosen the hyd. line at the top. That separates the system from the cly. If it goes up with the hose loose , its the system, if not its the cyl. Still the springs will play a part but you can tell if it makes it easier to push up. MOHO
N4FAP

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
I will wait for a reply from Jim. Being able to put a jack under it indicated to me it was partially retracting.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
harold1946 wrote:
Happy Jim wrote:
My stbalizating jack has been slow for years.Now it won't retract at all without help from a small floor jack. Camping world said I need a new jack they would check the Mfg and call me back.. Nary a word after a month and an hour labor charge $109.

Searching I see many RVers have the same jack issues. I would think a simple pump and one way cyclinder would be reliable and trouble free
But it does not appear to be. I have cleaned the piston and lubed to no avail. As you can see I am frustrated with the whole situation today. I will better tomorrow.

It is quite possible the return springs have weakened and need replacing. The fact that it will return indicates that it is not the
valve or solenoid. Not unusual for 17 year old springs.
Good luck.

WITHOUT springs if HWH, you can easily push a Jack cylinder up when the system is in store. Now, the OP stated he has to use a floor jack to get it up. That means the INTERNAL seals have failed and the Jack cylinder either needs replaced or rebuilt. On a 17 year old RV, I would pull and have it rebuilt by either a local HYD shop or send it to HWH for rebuild. 17 year old RV, I would replace ALL 8 springs if HWH. Odds are the 8 springs have lost most of their tensile strength and are on the verge of rusting away. HR used HWH while Monaco used RVA and HWH. IF by chance he has one of the few HR's that used Powergear, you can get a rebuild kit from Powergear. Doug

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Jim wrote:

Form what you are saying, it is retracting far enough to get a jack under, that would be an indication of a weak spring.
It is quite possible the return springs have weakened and need replacing. The fact that it will return indicates that it is not the
valve or solenoid. Not unusual for 17 year old springs.
Good luck.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
What brand/series of jacks?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I had a jack on my class A that kept binding, would set it down on a length of 2 x 4 to be able to pry it to get it going. finally locked down and had to remove it. IIRC I just got a replacement cylinder at Camping world Chattanooga.
bumpy