cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco FS 31 roof replacement after hail storm

corgi_jayride
Explorer
Explorer
A recent hail storm in SD shredded the roof of our brand new Jayco Greyhawk FS31. While dealing with Progressive about repair cost we have encountered the problem that no one can / or is willing give us an estimate for a replacement roof kit. Jayco confirmed that it will take about 65hrs in the shop but are unwilling to supply the cost for the roof kit plus shipping. Progressive claims they can't get it either. So we are stuck in a Catch22 situation. Can't get a proper estimate without the roof price and can't go to a dealership to have roof repair appraised without committing to have them do the actual replacement. Tried dealership I bought from, tried Jayco direct and several independent repair shops. Nobody can get those numbers. Only Jayco approved dealers get price info (according to Jayco). Why can't or won't they give it to the insurance company? Or is this just a ruse to avoid having the unit totalled cause if there is no price on the estimate there is no way of proving the total cost of repair.
Anybody out there who had a similar problem.
Please share your thoughts.
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

corgi_jayride
Explorer
Explorer
What you are saying is right. In theory. Reality nowadays is a lot different. Got involved in a rear end collision last year. Driver of other car was on the phone texting. We both got hurt, car damaged. After lawyer got his cut, we barely had enough to cover our medical expenses. Spent about 40 - 50 hrs on that mess writing emails, phone calls etc. "Whole again" = no more!

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
corgi_jayride wrote:
Well, I am always trying to find my own repair options / mechanics / shops.
I was just under the impression that the insurance supplies an estimate, I can agree with or not, to have a starting point for negotiations.
That works for cars but apparently not for RV's.

Not being argumentative but trying to understand your issue. If your vehicle is damaged it is the responsibility of the insurance company to pay to have it repaired. What negotiations need to be made, they need to make the vehicle "whole" again, correct?
Really feel for you. Having dealt with a hit and run recently I think next time I'm just going to drive away. California CHP has no interest in pursuing the man who fled despite photos of him, his plate number and vehicle. In a non-injury incident you need to use your uninsured motorist coverage, they say.

corgi_jayride
Explorer
Explorer
I am actually considering the FlexArmor option right now. Got a quote from them.
Due to the underlying damage it's gonna be somewhere around 11 1/2K but after that you can hit it with a hammer. Not that I intend to. Thanks for the input.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
One type of good aftermarket roof is Flexarmor. Here As you can see, Winnie is having their issue's with the fiberglass as well. For Flexarmor, book about $10,000. It's a sprayed on roof and I have heard nothing but good reports on it. Consider if you get the same factory fiberglass, the same thing could happen again, and it's doubtful your insurance would cover it again. Even though it's sprayed, I believe it's fairly thick. Certainly more impact resistant than fiberglass.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

corgi_jayride
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I am always trying to find my own repair options / mechanics / shops.
I was just under the impression that the insurance supplies an estimate, I can agree with or not, to have a starting point for negotiations.
That works for cars but apparently not for RV's.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dang, sorry to hear that you are having such problems. Better call Saul.

I'm confused. When has it become the job of the insured to line up the repairs of said insured vehicle? I have Mercury and they have a list of approved repair shops that I can use. Your insurance company stinks.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Click on my nic, then on the drop down click add to my buddy list. As far as price, 65 hours times the shop rate, plus some for materials would put you in the ball park I would think.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

corgi_jayride
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy

sorry, Internet access is sketchy.
How do I put you on my Buddy list.

BTW: Insurance says (at least for now) they will pay for the roof, the issue is not being able to get any pricing info from Jayco.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Corgi, I still cannot get a message to you it's blocking me. I will look for you on the Jaycoowners forum.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
This is a infrequent but known issue with fiberglass roofs, especially near both outside edges. I would bet that's where most of the damage is. I own a 31fs. If it we're me I would not replace it with the same material. There are some excellent aftermarket roofs, and I would go that way. I hope some of the guys will chime in cause I can't remember who those aftermarket folks are. Someone doing an aftermarket should give you an estimate. If it's brand new, it should be covered under warranty and I would put some pressure on Jayco to cover it. This has happened before and they know about it. If you go over to the Jaycoowners.com forum and search hail damage you'll find it. If you don't have huge water damage I don't see the point in totaling the rig. If Jayco is unwilling to supply the cost, I would get an attorney involved, and I'll bet they'll see it different. All it usually takes is a letter. I will send you more details but I am not on your buddy list. If you add me I will give you more details.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Did you take it to a Jayco dealer only? You should be able to buy material needed from Dicor. You will need the length of roofing to be replaced. Your insurance company should have the info needed. I replaced mine with help and it took about 70 hours for my 39 foot roof. EPDM

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Is the unit currently being stored indoors? If not, or if it has been out in the rain, additional water damage has been done, which will press towards total loss status.