cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koni vs Bilstein

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
OK, it's a 2006 National Seabreeze, F53 chassis. As stated in my last thread, I've got it handling great, however, still rides pretty rough. Was on the NY thruway today, and was a bit rough, then got to I-79 to head south, and though yes, this is way mo'betta. BUT, the closer I got to Pittsburg, the rougher the ride, until about 20 miles north. At that point, the road was hammering us. Doors were coming open, and twice my cruise kicked off. Even slowed down to 55, but still was vicious.

The original owner replaced the OEM shocks 5 years ago with Bilsteins. I recall from racing days the Bilsteins were always "firm". So the question; has anyone replaced the Bilsteins with the 5-way Konis, and was there a significant difference? I'm not looking for the "buy a DP" answer, as we otherwise love the MH and it's going nowhere. So anyone out there done this? If I could get a 20-30% ride improvement I'd do it. I'm just not ready to sink $12k into a liquid suspension upgrade right now.

Thanks in advance!

Al
21 REPLIES 21

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to shock road test:

https://www.motorhome.com/tech/diy/shock-therapy-rv-shock-absorber-test/

I just replaced my stock shocks on my '05 class C with Bilstein on the front and Monroe coil over on the rear. My coach has 110,000 miles on it. I have only taken a short test drive which included some interstate and some rough side streets and the ride was much improved. I will be heading for Montana in a few days and roads will vary from interstate to one lane forest dirt roads so they will get a good workout.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Koni FSD shocks are NOT gas charged so they do not transfer the small bumps, like road joinst, back to the coach as much as my Bilsteens did.

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Koni FSDs have worked very well for me. I can't say how they compare with Bilsteins, however. That said, rough roads are still rough. Sometimes it is good to slow waaay down, or seek alternate routes. Sometimes there's no option besides gritting one's teeth and bearing it.

I agree, we are driving a truck chassis with a heavy box on it down the road. I have no visions of a ride like my Yukon Denali. I'm just looking to tame it a bit. Make it a bit less jarring. It would cost me about $1500 to change them out. Like I had said, if it makes an improvement (less jarring) it would be worth it.

Al

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Koni FSDs have worked very well for me. I can't say how they compare with Bilsteins, however. That said, rough roads are still rough. Sometimes it is good to slow waaay down, or seek alternate routes. Sometimes there's no option besides gritting one's teeth and bearing it.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
#1 Koni...#2 Bilstein... Then the rest...

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Koni FSD's will improve both ride (much larger percent of dampening on rebound where it doesn't add to effective spring rate) and handling (that is the FSD part with different valving for small/sharp bumps vs large bumps).

They will also lighten your wallet a little better-- not that that will improve either the ride or handing, but you have to decide whether it is worth it to you.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

alvie_h
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know them roads. But if roads are rough shocks will not fix the pot holes. Bilstein made my coach ride better. would Koni have been better I doubt it.