cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lacking Power

jjrowan
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 1998 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager today. It has a 5.9 liter Cummins Diesel with Allison 4 speed transmission. The test drive the owner took me on was about 20 miles, since I didn't drive I couldn't tell whether it was being floored or just cruising. After purchasing it I got it onto the highway and was disappointed that it lacks power. I made frequent use of the four way flashers going uphills. I didn't try shifting from 4 to 3 as I wasn't comfortable downshifting something I wasn't familiar with. Pressing the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor didn't cause a downshift. The prior owner said they'd replaced the "kick-down cable". The air filter was just replaced so it shouldn't be a factor. I had planned on towing my 2007 Trailblazer from New Jersey to Maine but the lack of power makes me think it won't handle the tow. I'm looking for anything to get more power out of the 5.9.
17 REPLIES 17

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
RFCN2 wrote:
Take it to cummins and have them put it on their computer before you do anything else.

I agree. They'll be able to tell what is going on with that diesel.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
Take it to cummins and have them put it on their computer before you do anything else.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 5.9 in my old first gen. Dodge, it was rated at 180HP to get a few more ponys out of it I straight piped it, it helped some, it sounded cool as well
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension