Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mind the Batteries

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Folks,
I have a buddy who has a Southwind. It has 2 6-volt batteries connected in series as house batteries. And, a 12-volt engine battery.
I want to get him battery chargers/minders for his birthday. I know he’ll need a 12-volt charger for the motor, but for the 2, 6-volt batteries in series...do I need to get him a 6 volt minder, or a 12 volt?

Best,
Jack
16 REPLIES 16

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coelacanth wrote:
Folks,
I have a buddy who has a Southwind. It has 2 6-volt batteries connected in series as house batteries. And, a 12-volt engine battery.
I want to get him battery chargers/minders for his birthday. I know he’ll need a 12-volt charger for the motor, but for the 2, 6-volt batteries in series...do I need to get him a 6 volt minder, or a 12 volt?

Best,
Jack

12V.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need a 12V one for the house battery as well. Two 6V batteries in series is a 12V battery (or, alternately, a 12V battery is just two 6V batteries permanently connected together in series). In either case you have six lead-acid cells strung together.