cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mufflers

Profcadd
Explorer
Explorer
Hello friends. I'm going crazy searching online for replacement mufflers for my coach. see my profile for make, model etc.
If you have the same workhorse UFO chassis with GM Vortec 8.1 in the rear, I would appreciate your feedback.
Retired Professor of C.A.D.D
2008 Itasca Latitude 39W Gas pusher with GM Vortec 8.1 L & Allison 6 speed.
In Tow: 2016 Chev Equinox LT. Blue Ox tow bar, Patriot braking etc.
Companion: My Wife Rita
11 REPLIES 11

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
check here

https://www.donaldson.com/content/dam/donaldson/engine-hydraulics-bulk/catalogs/Exhaust/North-America/F110028-ENG/Exhaust-Product-Guide.pdf

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you do change to a low restriction muffler, you may also want to consider having your ECM re-programmed to take full advantage of it. Anything that changes the exhaust flow will change the way the ECM adjust the other parameters as you drive.

Profcadd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your input. I am booked in tomorrow at a large custom performance exhaust/muffler shop.

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Mangaflow makes good 3" straight thru mufflers.
They would sound great on a 8.1. I put one on a 454
Vortex and it really made a difference. Ask a muffler
shop to order it. You can't buy direct. Only about $80.
Good luck!
The thing about GM. stock mufflers is that they are very
restrictive.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will have to be a custom find. Many Oreilly auto stores will have different ones in stock that you can look at as well as online specs.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Profcadd wrote:
Thank you Jarlaxle. Yes I am an avid DIY'er. This is a good suggestion. However getting the old mufflers off could be a challenge.

Why? Just measure them in place.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
In this day and age of ordering everything online, this is one of the few things that should be done the old fashion way. Typically, your exhaust can be replaced a generic 5 ton truck muffler. As others stated, drive to a muffler shop and they'll knock it out in an hour. I'm definitely a DIY guy, but this is something a muffler shop is better suited to do.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Profcadd
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Jarlaxle. Yes I am an avid DIY'er. This is a good suggestion. However getting the old mufflers off could be a challenge.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're a DIY person...with the engine cold, crawl under the coach with a tape measure. You need these dimentions:

Inlet & outlet pipe number and size.
Length
Width
Height
Shape (round, oval, suitcase, etc)

Write that down. Go to a good auto part store, ask to look through their exhaust books. One will be there that fits!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I had no idea where to get the large muffler for my '94 Bounder so one day I just stopped into an independent muffler shop.

They had my old muffler out, and new muffler installed in under an hour.

So, I'd agree with just as rgatijnet1 says, almost any muffler shop can do the job.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may have trouble finding a bolt on replacement but almost any large muffler shop should be able to find a suitable replacement.