cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some advice

rbaart
Explorer
Explorer
During the month May we, two couples mid-sixties from France, want to visit South-West of the United State. We start and end in Denver. We intend to travel with two RVโ€™s with a length of around 20 feet. We have never visited this area before and we never used a RV. We would like to get some more information and the best place for that seems to me this forum of RV lovers.

So our questions:
1. Renting a RV is expensive. Prices vary enormous. Can anyone help us with finding a good and reliable rental agency in the neighborhood of Denver? Or is there someone interested in renting two RVโ€™s to us?
2. We think an RV with a length of 20 feet is sufficient for a couple. I get the impression that 25 feet is very popular. But it seems to big for just a couple. And it consumes more. Any advice in this matter?
3. Compared with a large car, SUV of something like that is a RV limited in the roads you can taken?
4. Lots of agencies talk about standard and additional assurances. What is necessary and what is advisable?
5. Is it difficult to find camping places and should they be booked in advance? Further I have seen free camping places (including Wall Mart). What are the experiences with these places?

We will visit Black Canyon, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Mojave NP, Sequoia NP, San Francisco, Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Zion NP, Brice Canyon NP, Canyon lands, Grand junction. Total of 4000 miles in 5 weeks.
19 REPLIES 19

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
I would cut out San Francisco and Yosemite then you might have a good trip. If SF is a must do a fly in at the first or end of the trip. If you are thinking about taking the mountain pass from hwy 395 to Yosemite, it usually isn't open until June or July.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Guess, I will offer another option:

Rent car and air B&B's.

With 4 people, a viable option.

We have done that (with my brother and his wire, so 4) all over the world. Last long trip was 2 months in Australia this past summer. 7,500+ KM in rent car. 21 different Air B&B's. We considered two RV's but they would have been more money and less flexibility than a car and 2 bedroom houses/apartments.

We have also done this in Chile, Costa Rica, etc.

While I love RV's, they are not always the best choice for overseas travel.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Rbaart,

Yes, renting an RV is expensive, but so are H/motels and restaurants.

Our own coach is only 23ft and we find it adequate, but not spacious and we have lived in for more than a month at a time often. The fuel consumption will vary little until you go over 25ft.

In May, campgrounds will already be crowded on weekends. There are a number of smartphone apps that can assist you to locate places to over night park (ONP). You will need a US enabled phone.

The majority of roads you should encounter will be suitable. I will advise that you not go anyplace that you do not see passenger cars. American trucks are very large on an international scale and most roads are adequate for them.

Now, you are thinking of a 4000 mile excursion in 35 days?
Many RVers limit a day to 200 miles. Very experienced and hardened will do some 400 mile days and that is all interstate (like autoroute). This still is very tiring. What you don't seem to have allowed is that the best speed for you will about a 60MPH average. Then, this has to include fuel stops and meal breaks. So, your outline has the potential to be 20 driving days and not much sightseeing. I have not worked your route, but I am not sure it is even actually possible to enjoy the planned excursion.

You will be able to get a lot of advice and support here if you stay in touch along the way. With a tablet linked to a phone, this will on be difficult along the interstate routes because cellphone coverage there is adequate.

I hope this is more of an help than a discouragement. There is a lot to see in the USA and the two of us been working on it for years.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
In May, you'll need reservations for all but Death Valley (REALLY HOT). The rest? You'll need to get reservations ASAP. They fill up fast. Motorhomes and San Francisco do not not belong in the same sentence. You might consider renting a car and staying outside of some of these places. Private party rentals might be less expensive, and more accommodating...and less expensive.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome! Enjoy your trip! In a 20 to 25 foot RV youโ€™ll be able to easily visit all your destinations except San Francisco. Iโ€™d suggest parking outside the city and using BART, buses etc. Most campgrounds will be available without reservations except for Yosemite and near Memorial Day weekend. Some Walmarts allow overnight stays...but some donโ€™t.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad