cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan marquis 7000 shutting off after like 15 min/overheat

Chrisbouch
Explorer
Explorer
I know it's overheating, but this is air cooled a d don't see any blockage in the grate. Is this likely a thermostat?
10 REPLIES 10

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Chrisbouch wrote:
Not getting a code. Maybe it's not overheating you're right. I guess it could be a fuel pump or the exhaust leak. Exhaust leak sounds right honestly as it's hotter than heck and the hot air seems to be blowing as much out of unit as it does out the exhaust and works when cold weather

Do you have a light on the start switch that's on the Genny? That is where you would read the code. The manuals have numerous codes in the back for troubleshooting. It also tells you how to read your code. Mine was a 36, which means the engine shut off with no communications electrically, IOW it had to be a fuel issue. I've learned that the fuel pumps for these gas Onans are good for about 750 hours, then the diaphram gets weak and will not keep the pressure up once it gets hot. It is true for the 4,000, 5,500, and 7,000 gas units. Many You-Tube videos on this issue.

Al

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Chrisbouch wrote:
Not getting a code. Maybe it's not overheating you're right. I guess it could be a fuel pump or the exhaust leak. Exhaust leak sounds right honestly as it's hotter than heck and the hot air seems to be blowing as much out of unit as it does out the exhaust and works when cold weather

If you are sitting still on a hot day and they are running hard it's not uncommon for these gensets to shut down with an overheat code. The genset panel inside would show a code if that happens.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Chrisbouch
Explorer
Explorer

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
FloridaRosebud wrote:
How do you know it's overheating? What is the engine code? My 5500 would stop after 15-30 minutes, and it was the fuel pump. How many hours do you have on the Genny?

Al

Mine did the same thing, fuel pump as well. New fuel pump, problem solved.
2010 Suncruiser

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
How do you know it's overheating? What is the engine code? My 5500 would stop after 15-30 minutes, and it was the fuel pump. How many hours do you have on the Genny?

Al

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Exhaust leak.

Chrisbouch
Explorer
Explorer
It's the same gas that's in my Gulfstream, so seems to be doing okay. Not sure the generator model. Does this help model number 7hgjab-9000

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like, could be a number of things. Low oil is probably the culprit. Last oil change by hours is?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Which Onan Marquis 7K gas do you have? QG or NHM.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
low oil, sucking air in the gas line.

Put a new gas line on and drop in a fresh gallon of gas.