cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing upper cabinets

nsaellis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to remove the upper cabinets so i can replace the paneling and fix the wiring that was ripped out after blew a tire. I removed the screws and it lossened but will not pull down. I know there is wires in the cabinet so I know I'm missing something. Please help
6 REPLIES 6

JRandall
Explorer
Explorer
Some cabinets have screws which screw in from the outside as well. They are mounted before the outside siding material is attached. Not sure what is the best way to detach those, I just pulled them off and repaired the hole which was inevitably left.

nsaellis
Explorer
Explorer
I figured part of it out. It did have a false bottom I had to lift up the false bottom and then remove the bottom screws.

Tucson_Lawrence
Explorer
Explorer
nsaellis wrote:
Does the bottom of the cabinet have a false bottom?

I ran into that with a bathroom cab- had to pull the screws out and then repair the holes as there were more screws showing.

To look for more screws (esp in carpeting) use a rare earth magnet-- run it along the edges and it will snap onto any screwheads even if they are buried deep in carpet (the magnets are very powerful)

Lawrence
"Never remain neutral for the victor will consider you part of his spoils and the vanquished will have no room for you in his cave"
-unknown author

Click herehere to visit my woodworking portfolio

nsaellis
Explorer
Explorer
Does the bottom of the cabinet have a false bottom?

nsaellis
Explorer
Explorer
I did no other screws.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look for more screws, coming in from all directions. Mine had screws going out of the cabinet into the cabinet beside it. Then the cabinet beside it had screws going into the cabinet I wanted to remove. There were also numerous screws at the top and the bottom of the cabinet going back in to the frame. Basically just look at all sides, top and bottom, for screws and look in adjoining cabinets also.