cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replace couch with chairs

rede2roll
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Itasca spirit 29B. We want to change out the couch with two recliners. Has anyone done this and are you happy with the change?
8 REPLIES 8

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Found the info on the La-Z-Boys I used.

La-z-boys purchased in Nov. 2006 for W. Minnie 29B, model name was name Amity #237 Rocker/Recliner

La-z-boys purchased in July 2012 for W. Minnie 24V, model name is name Vail, Reclina-Rocker Recliner 32โ€ wide

rede2roll
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like the lambright relaxr recliners are what we need. T
hanks everyone for your help.

ronfisherman
While not cheap. Our Lambright recliners are very comfortable.
You can check them and others out at Bradd and Hall.
We purchased ours at the factory in Topeka, IN.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
I also remodeled our current 24V Winnie in 2012 to Our Winnie Class C remodeled for two and put 2 La-Z-Boys where the dinette was. I will check tomorrow and see if I can find out the La-Z-Boy model name for the chairs we used. CW has some Euro recliners in a recent ad booklet, you might want to check these out also. Dick

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Itasca Cambria came with a recliner and ottoman that can be moved about the coach or fastened to the floor. It is comfortable, sleeps a stocky man well and doesn't use up that much

room . See what they have to offer.

Free_Range_Huma
Explorer
Explorer
You're going to have almost NO choices for that amount of space. I know; we just did this.

The answer is, yes, we're happy, because that couch wasn't made for sitting in. But we ended up paying for a pair of specialized recliners (with inside releases... saves precious inches) made for the RV industry. We were even willing to go to a loveseat and footrest combination, but even at that, La-Z-Boy only had one (count 'em) choice. I looked ev-er-y-where.

We ordered ours from a local place, but they ship. So does most everyone else. Dave and LJ's I think what we got was two of these put together to look like a loveseat, but each is actually a separate recliner with only one arm, and they don't swivel when you put them together that way.

Ended up looking much better than in the photo, with an ultra-leather that compliments the primary decor color I chose. Definitely the most expensive thing we've done, but since we're planning on spending a lot of time in our MH, it was necessary.

rede2roll
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dick for the information. We are now looking for the recliners that will fit in the 73 inch space. We will be checking Laz-Boy.
Thanks again.

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
I did it, but sorry to say I lost my info on the 2004 29b when my desktop computer hard drive quit last year.
Just a few thought that might be helpful.
Our 29b slide out had a flat surface carpeted same as main living room floor which made the job easy. There were two shelve like boards same width as the slide on the wall behind it that I had to remove and fill in the screw holes. I cut one of the shelves to fit in the bathroom where we needed it and still have one in the garage rafters.
Because of the limited width we had to choose La-Z-Boys that would fit and still have some room between them, not as plush as our home chairs but they were still a lot more comfortable than the couch we took out.
The couch came out easy, I think in 3 to 5 pieces. The chairs go in easy, I drove the MH to La-Z-Boy Gallery and had them put them in, they remove the backs and they fit thru the door with no problems.
In the 29b we installed them in the slide. There was a height difference between the slide floor and living room floor. When we traveled there were strapped in, but when we got to our destination and put the slide out it limited the distance you could pull the recliner out from the wall. So I could get them out further I cut a board wide enough to fit in front of each chair. I think they were about 1โ€ high (thick) and about 6 or 8โ€ deep. Cut, wrapped and stapled rubber back carpet that blended in with the floor carpet and when finished made up the difference height. By moving the boards out more from the front of the slide I could get it so I could totally recline my chair.
The chairs were not usable when traveling since they are not fastened down, I used a combination of seat belts and ratchet tie down straps hooked to the seat belts to hold them when traveling.
I am about 6โ€™2โ€ and since the back on the chairs in the MH are lower than the home chair I use a dog bone type pillow in the MH. Hope this helps, Dick