cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace roof A/C On 1997 Damon Intruder 32 class A

twainharteartis
Explorer
Explorer
I took my 1997 Damon Intruder motorhome to a RV shop. I had them check out my A/C that was running fine till it started kicking out the beaker.It was cooling great up till then. They replaced the two house battery's $384 and said they had to replace a wire and that ran the price up to over $600 and they checked out the A/C and the generator. After that I now owe $1004.05. They want over $1100 for a new A/C unit plus the lower unit and the thermostat and that will run the cost of an A/C to well over $1500.
I want to know what I need to buy to replace the A/C myself. I don't believe I need to replace the lower unit or the thermostat. I will fit the generator myself. I am so fed up with these so called RV repair shop that just want to rip off the consumers. Were can I see the info on the A/C unit so I know what unit to order.
1 REPLY 1

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Comment: That shop is ripping you off big time

Question: Are the existing A/C's Carrier Air V (I don't know what Damon used then but that's what they put in my roof)

IF SO. I can give you TWO options and comments on 'em

1: Advent Air,, made in china, witch to clean (Upper unit) as they did not well design. You get the adapt-a-kit from them and replacement is as follows

Remove ceiling cover.. Unplug upper unit from control box. OPEN a metal box on the lower unit and remove one of the sockets in thtat box replace with socket from Adapt-a-kit (You won't have any problem figuring out wich socket) re-close box.. NOTE: RV Technician did not know how to install new socket.... I'm trained in Electronics (Certified in fact) so I did. Radio and TV guy will know or it is obvious to some.

Remove 4 long bolts and lift off Upper unit,,, replace gasket,, position new upper unit,, Replace3 4 long bolts and tighten per directrions (New bolts come with kit)

Install adapter harness (it only plugs in one way) to control box and plug upper unit into harness,,, Replace ceiling cover

Original controls still work, no changes other than on the roof.

Option 2: Coleman (I have yet to clean this one but my RV Tech ssys much easier)

Again you need the adapt=a=kit so make sure you can get one before you do anything,,,,, We had a problem and as a result had to replace other stuff.

With the Coleman the process is the same as Advent with the following changes

You do NOT make any changes to the control box but you do change the plate it is mounted on,, So you have to disconnect it (Both 120 and 12 volt) or work overhead (not so easy)

Remove the plate it is mounted on and replace with the one in the kit. Re-mount the box and plug in the harness (Re-connect).

There is a board (Styrafoam) that has to be cut to size (Depends on thickenss of roof) and that's about it.

Next week I will have cleaned my Coleman.

Side note: When the fan (Condenser fan) on my Advent blew up.... (Flew apart) A Coleman fan replaced it,,, perfect fit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times