cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Selection & Electrical Question

swwyld12
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have a rather strange question. I am looking to buy either a class C or Class A motorhome (both used). Unfortunately, there is a complicating factor: I have toured both Class A and Cass C units and, considering size, they are both acceptable. Here is my issue, I am required to use a medical device (which run nearly 18 hours per day and pulls about 10 amps @ 110v. So, I could get a class A without any electrical modifications or a class C with either a modified electrical system (increasing it to 50 amps since most come in 30 amps) or I can get a class C and add two power outlets which would be attached separately to the power hookup.

For completions sake, I am buying this unit because I am starting graduate school and will need to travel to new locations every 4-6 weeks for about three years, and this seemed a lot more feasible then packing and moving every 4-6 weeks.

So, as I am new to this, I would appreciate any and all advice that you guys can provide.

Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
A device that draws 10 amps continuously is some serious equipment. What happens if the breaker trips? Can you easily reset and have no problems? If the occasional loss of power is going to be an issue, get a 50 Amp rig and a rig with a generator sized to run 50 amp service. Having one third of your available power already taken before you turn anything on is going to be a big issue with a 30 amp rig.

swwyld12
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I will be taking a car with me. I have a Ford C-Max, that can be flat towed. The car was a better option for me considering how much driving I will need to be doing (my car is a hybrid that gets 48 mpg vs the pickup that gets <15).

Also, the budget I am looking at is between $30-45k, not sure if it matters.

Does anyone have experience with altering the native motorhome electrical systems?

Thanks again for any info!

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Will you be taking secondary transportation with you? If not, the Class C may be a little better for occasional local trips. Or even better a pickup and 21' travel trailer.
Currently Between RVs

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
OK
Looking at the load, on a 30 amp system that still leaves 20 amps. Enough to run the A/C -or- a heater but nothing else heavy like a microwave, coffee-maker, electric water-heater, etc.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.