cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slidout room not working...

Gfisher
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a 2004 Daybreak by Damon, the slide was working fine then one day it would come in but not out. I traced the wires from the motor to where they enter inside, no visible damage. I thought maybe it was the rocker switch and when trying to unplug the wires the switch popped apart - so got a new one on order but we had a trip planned before it has came in so I have been just touching the hot wire to the in or out wire and that seemed to be working fine until today.

A little background, this RV had floor damage due to a sink leaking, to fix the floor I removed the kitchen counter... I noticed a board with relays mounted on the wall under the stove but didnโ€™t know what they went to until today - today when trying to put the slide in to move from one campsite to another, all it would do was make a clicking sound (sounded like a relay). After following the sound I found it was coming from the relays on that board. I donโ€™t have any of my tools with me so I canโ€™t check the voltage but have tried jumping across the 30A circuit breaker and using my knife to jump the slow blow fuse but still all itโ€™ll do is click. Under the coach, the motor does not make any sounds... I tried tapping lightly with a hammer just to see if it would start moving but nothing happened.

The board with the relays has printed โ€œPowerGear part number 14-1130โ€. Also on the board it has screen printed descriptions for the wiring harness, I have tried using the โ€œinโ€ wire to the motor directly to the 12v+ wire in the harness but nothing.

When it first did this I thought it was the switch since the switch basically fell apart but then it did it again and I wiggled the wires that go down in the wall and it started working again, but today Iโ€™ve tried wiggling them and still no luck... ended up just moving to the next site with the slide out and my daughter walking along side to make sure it was clear, but Iโ€™ll have to get it in before Tuesday because thereโ€™s no way I can get it hole with it out!

This motorhome only has the 1 superslide in the living room.
9 REPLIES 9

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Now, you need to use a 12 volt battery(I use a Cordless drill 12 volt battery) and go to the motor and connect to the 2 motor wires to see if the motor does work. Makes no difference Pos or neg to the motor, Doug

Gfisher
Explorer
Explorer
My background is vehicle wiring, I install lights/sirens in emergency vehicles but the rv is a different story lol. In a car I always know where to check my grounds and where to get the power from but in here Iโ€™m lost lol.

Gfisher
Explorer
Explorer
crawford wrote:
also check e brake switch make sure its connecting.

The guy I bought it from had changed from the electric E brake to a mechanical one... he said that he had read a lot of reviews of the electric had caused fires and thatโ€™s why he switched it.

The odd thing is when I went and looked at it the slide worked fine, it worked fine when I was replacing the floor... it was when we replaced the floor when it started acting up but we didnโ€™t mess with any of the wiring - I mean the wires have to cross under the floor but the water damaged floor didnโ€™t have any wires under it so I donโ€™t think we messed anything up.

Gfisher
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
1. SWAP the 2 Motor wires. This will cause the system to work in reverse.
2. If now, the room goes OUT but not in, then the control board with the relay's is bad. Report back. Doug

At first it would go out but not in, yesterday it wouldnโ€™t go either way.

My thought was corrosion on the wires from the water leak that was in the area where the board was located but the board looks dry with no corrosion.

It may be the ground, I sure wish I had my multimeter with me! Last night I told me wife that I guess I could run a hot and ground to the battery - but I donโ€™t have extra wire with me either lol.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
crawford wrote:

If the E brake was a concern, the slide would not work in or out. Doug

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. SWAP the 2 Motor wires. This will cause the system to work in reverse.
2. If now, the room goes OUT but not in, then the control board with the relay's is bad. Report back. Doug

Bruce_Brown
On electrical stuff, many times clicking with nothing else happening is a bad ground.

It could be many other things but thats where I'd start looking.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please follow up with a further report. Wish you success!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad