cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spark plug wires for a 1992 Bounder 460

mercedesme28
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready for a much needed tune up on a 1992 Bounder with a ford 460 are there special plug wires I need or will basic ford wires work ? I have about 99K on the motor. Wasn't sure because of the motorhome placement of the engine whether I needed a stronger wires or special wires. While she runs well, I'm heading from AZ to Oregon for the summer and want to make sure it runs the best and gets the best mpg. I did the plugs last year,( I was warned to be careful because of rusted plugs, so true, they were, so I had a mechanic do it, The same mechanic who will now do the wires, cap and rotor
Any insight will be welcome...
Thanks,
Eric
11 REPLIES 11

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
After I installed a rebuilt long block 460 assembly and exhaust headers (not Banks headers) last May I put on heat resistant plug wires equipped with ceramic spark plug boots. They may not have been needed but I wasn't certain how much localized heat my new exhaust headers would generate so I just thought it was a good idea. Cheap insurance, one less future thing to worry about.

Steve

mercedesme28
Explorer
Explorer
No my mpg went from 10-12 mpg down to 6 mpg, I changed plugs and its up to 7-8 mpg
Which is why I feel it's time for A complete tuneup

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wide Open Throttle
New generation wires can go long way, so recheck the engine at dark.
Is you mpg the same what was when you bought it?

mercedesme28
Explorer
Explorer
What is WOT ? I have 99K on the motor, don't you think it's time for new ones ? Even if I don't see sparks ?
Thanks

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everything should be pretty much stock Ford.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
It really depends on how hot your 460 runs and if your exhaust manifolds are still good. My 454 ran hot and I went through 2 sets of 8 MM wires before I switched to 10.4 MM Taylor wires which have about 70K miles on them now. Older 454's and 460's were known to have exhaust manifold leaks and burn wires. Headers fixed the exhaust manifold leaks. If you run your engine at night and you see sparks coming from the wires to the block it is time to change them, if not and your engine doesn't brake up at WOT I would leave them alone.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did own slightly older Bounder and when I had to tune it up for smog certification, I knew to request porcelain boots set.
The shop put set with plastic boots insisting "they have lifetime warranty"
The life was 3 weeks and they had to do the job again.
Older gasoline engine produced high amount of heat and they work with WOT most of the time. At least they did for me.

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
Never had any luck with after market plug wires.although i am sure some are quality.

mercedesme28
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both...

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Auto Zone, Advance, Car Quest, NAPA etc.. any auto parts store will have what is needed.....just standard OEM.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Eric,

Use the same plug wires that a 460 Ford pick up uses. No need to buy any thing special. My OEM plug wires lasted 118,000 miles on my 95 460 Bounder. Just buy quality, not special.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson