cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stupid move

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
ok, i know it was a stupid move but i have issues that are clouding my thinking. i was putting two new 6 volt batteries in for the coach and hooked them up backwards. i now have no 12 volt lighting and cannot crank my generator. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. so you know i am not always stupid i have a son dying of cancer. much appreciation in advance.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛
19 REPLIES 19

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look at the wiring right near the battery compartment for a fuse.
The inverter may have it's own internal fuse/circuit breaker.

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
If you actually hooked them up "backwards" most rv's have reverse polarity fuses near the battery or converter. Hopefully just a couple blown fuses.

i failed to say it is a 2005 national dolphin on a w22 workhorse chassis. would you have any idea where that fuse would be and what size it is? i did hook them backwards positive to ground.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
What you need to do is disconnect the batteries and hook them up with + to - on both batteries. That will give you 12 volt output.
Right now it appears that you have them connected + to + and - to - which gives you a 6 volt output..

no i have them hooked right, i momentarily hooked positive to ground then i realized what i done.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
If you actually hooked them up "backwards" most rv's have reverse polarity fuses near the battery or converter. Hopefully just a couple blown fuses.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
What you need to do is disconnect the batteries and hook them up with + to - on both batteries. That will give you 12 volt output.
Right now it appears that you have them connected + to + and - to - which gives you a 6 volt output..