Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tachometer has stopped working Safari Sahara Diesel

clayhubler
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

Trying to get this coach ready for the season. My tach isn't working on my 1994 Safari Sahara. It has the cummins 5.9 b series engine with an allison 6 speed tranny. There are no other symptoms that I know of, shifts are still at appropriate times, no loss of power, ect...

It was working and then stopped, but it wasn't abrupt. It stopped, then worked off and on for maybe a day, then has stopped completely.

I have checked the connections at the back of the gauge cluster inside the dash, all looks good. I don't know for sure where the tach attaches on my engine. I have done some research and I am thinking it might be the crankshaft position sensor. I located what I thought was the sensor and checked the plug harness, everything looks good there. I pulled the sensor and took it to napa to see if they had a replacement. All the sensors I have found online are for the dodge trucks, and they have three prong connectors. Mine has two prongs. Napa couldn't find one with two prongs either, and so they got my engine serial number and contacted cummins. According to napa, cummins claims my engine doesn't have a crank position sensor???

I'm not totally confident with this assessment from napa. I tried a diesel repair shop over the phone, and they gave me some businesses to try, but they are closed for the weekend.

I'm curious if anybody else has had this problem and also if they know what else I could check. I'm still leaning toward this being a crankshaft sensor issue, but it sounds like the sensors are around $80, so I don't really want to just replace it if that isn't what is causing the tachometer issue.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Friend down the street said if you have the Leece Neville Alternator then it comes off it.

1981k20
Explorer
Explorer
Any update on this my friend?? Ours is doing the exact same, same year/ Driveline
1994 Rockwood DP

2013 RZR 800 SxS