cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Television Reception in an RV

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We have the typical old Wingard batwing amplified antenna and alternate cable TV connection. Watching "Going RV", there is a lot of emphasis on TV's inside and out. I'm wondering if most full timers and frequent RV users use Satellite TV and DVD players for variety and quality of reception nowadays. We are resuming RV activity after a long lapse. Advice is welcome.
17 REPLIES 17

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use the batwing, if we get anything to watch, fine, if not, that's fine too, we've got about 200 DVD's, or sit outside & watch the campfire.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
OTA TV reception has always repeat always been a hit or miss situation regardless of if in an RV or home. A lot of variables affect reception. The main difference is with the old analog you got snow, ghosting, nothing. Now you get pixelating, or no signal. Sat can be iffy as well due to trees, mountains, etc. Streaming can be an alternative if you have decent WiFi/internet service. if you really must have something to watch, bring it with you using your choice of media.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OTA reception distance decreased with HD but with better quality. GC cable was often poor quality or didn't exist. The batwing rarely goes up anymore as we upgraded the DTV sat dish to HD. Also we use a Genie receiver which retains the recordings so driving, trees etc are a non issue. We almost never use DVDs. No outside TV and the bedroom TV is original OTA and hasn't been turned on for years.

I'd label us as reverse snowbirds with 5+ months of RV travel.

Point of View: I could say that with the RV sat dish paid for sat TV cost is $0 since we move the home receiver with it's recordings to the RV.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob