cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible turning of Ford E450 202” WB

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 ClassC on the Ford E450 chassis has a 202” wheelbase and the turning is terrible. The steering just doesn’t turn enough. I have seen ClassA MHs make turns much sharper than I can. Even my old 2004 ClassC Winnebago E350 with a 132” wheel base turned much sharper. This 202” WB makes driving much different. I have to turn the wheel much more and corrections that longer to have an effect. I don’t suppose there is anything that can be done to correct this.
21 REPLIES 21

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Why does the 550 require a 2 inch lift?

I'm considering replacing my rear springs with 550.

Up, front it's required to clear the engine crossmember. Back is raised only to match, if needed.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Why does the 550 require a 2 inch lift?

I'm considering replacing my rear springs with 550.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
I was so frustrated with that terrible turning radius, I got rid of it after the second year of ownership and got a Sprinter. We got stuck going up the side of a mountain in a residential area in Silverthorne, Co. while towing, and I said, never again.

I know the two are not the same capability-wise, but I wanted something to help keep the few remaining hairs on my head while driving anywhere more than slightly challenging.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Class A's and commercial trucks have close to a 50 degree wheel cut angle so it makes for better turning radius. You're stuck with what you've got. You will get used to setting up turns and backing into tight spaces to reduce the amount of jockeying you need to do. I practice in a big empty parking lot by setting up cones for a variety of parking situations anytime I get a new RV or truck. This allows me to get used to how the vehicle reacts when backing or turning in tight spots.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
There is one fix, but it's not cheap. You can take it to QuadVan, and do a solid-axle conversion. You can get a little bit better using an F350 axle, and a lot better using an F550 axle. Both require a 2" lift, and the F550 conversion would also require upgrading to 19.5" wheels and tires.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
That's simply basic mechanics/physics at play, yes. You (and I) have a chassis with an unexceptional wheel cut angle and a long wheelbase, which means the minimum turning radius is not very tight. A long wheelbase generally means that corrections take longer to respond, and turns at intersections, etc. must be started later to avoid clipping curbs, independent of the turning radius.

You do get used to these things over time, at least to a large extent. That's not to say that tooling around tight places like parking lots or gas stations is ever really easy.

I find I experience as much difficulty or annoyance when going back to my car after driving the RV for awhile. The first few curves I feel as though I'm about to swerve off the road and into the trees due to the steering being much more responsive and sensitive. It does not take very long to adjust back.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Correct, there is nothing to be done. Nature of the Beast.