cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test drives?

bellolove
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious what your experience has been with dealers and test drives? We visited a dealer this past weekend and looked at a used Class A. The dealer told us they only let you test drive if you fill out all your paperwork and agree to buy if the test drive is satisfactory. Were not just wanting to take a joy ride but I would like to feel the difference in ride in the different models. Is this common where they won't let you test drive?
38 REPLIES 38

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Like a prior poster, I've usually had salesmen falling over me to "take it for a spin". They think it'll be a lot tougher for me to walk after driving the rig.

They don't know me!

x2. They all want me to take it for a test drive.
Walk away from that dealership. To me, it sounds like a high pressure sales tactic.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Like a prior poster, I've usually had salesmen falling over me to "take it for a spin". They think it'll be a lot tougher for me to walk after driving the rig.

They don't know me!

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
have never had that problem. RUN AWAY. i have had sales people have to ride with me they say because of insurance. i just a few weeks ago took a pusher out for a drive with no problem.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

😛

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
I have only bought one vehicle in my life without a test drive and that was when I was very young, yes it was a big mistake. Apparently the dealer is not interested in helping you make a wise choice, which means he is clueless about what makes a good dealer. You do not want to buy from someone who lacks intelligence.
IRV2

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something to think about on test drives is the weight of the unit. When I bought my DP I found out that all the tanks were full of clear water. The filled both holding tanks to capacity as well as the fresh water tank. (The only thing they didn't fill was the diesel tank) The reason they did this is because if you drive a DP completely empty of your gear and with all the tanks empty, you can get a real rough ride. You'll feel every bump. A DP rides smoother with the weight in it. I would think the same would apply to a gas unit. So if the ride feels bumpier than you would expect, it may be because it's completely empty.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
bellolove wrote:
Just curious what your experience has been with dealers and test drives? We visited a dealer this past weekend and looked at a used Class A. The dealer told us they only let you test drive if you fill out all your paperwork and agree to buy if the test drive is satisfactory. Were not just wanting to take a joy ride but I would like to feel the difference in ride in the different models. Is this common where they won't let you test drive?

My experience was just the opposite. They practically begged me to take them for a spin. I'd walk on that deal.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

bellolove
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks yeah we were not impressed with them. The guy was friendly but knew NOTHING about Class As. They are primarily a travel trailer dealership.

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Run fom that dealer
You probably didn't answer the pre qualifier questions right or something rediculous like that!

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Not common. Find other dealers. Now way I'd buy until I drove the unit. We test drove our current MH before buying...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad