cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thor Axis slide

ntar827
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new 2015 Thor Axis about five weeks ago. Took it home and put it storage.

Planning to leave on trip on 12/13 so today I brought the motorhome home to pack and checkout everything.

I extended the slide with no problem. When I went to retract it, nothing happened. Not even a noise.
Checked fuse and it was OK. Checked battery level and it was fully charged. Started the generator to give boost to the battery.

Nothing.

In desperation I called the dealer that I bought it from. The service manager questioned the battery, fuse and then had me find a control panel for the slide. It is located in the storage compartment forward of the slide.

A blinking red light indicated a low battery but we knew that was not the case. The RV guy suggested that I check the position of the battery disconnect switch. It was in the engage position as it should be.
After a few minutes of contemplation he asked it my emergency brake was engaged. It was not.

I engaged the brake and the slide retracted.

Tell me. Where in the manual (useless) does it say that the emergency brake must be on?

What else is going to bite me in the a** because Thor is too cheap to produce a proper manual for each motorhome?

Has anyone else had this problem?
9 REPLIES 9

davidgebo
Explorer
Explorer
I have not, as yet, had any problems with the slide on our Vegas. I do, however, have a problem with the fact that Thor does not provide a Vegas/Axis specific manual. We are about to return to Camping World St. Augustine, for the 6th time to repair numerous, ongoing problems with this coach. Our last trip out, the windshield wipers stopped working. Since first purchased in Feb. 2013, we have had the following issues:
1. plastic chrome exterior mirror finish corroded, Thor oks replacement
2. screws popping up through the vinyl flooring, Thor okayed a patch which did not work, now entire floor must be replaced.
3. plastic interior windshield cowling, drivers side had horrible exposed jagged edge. problem repaired.
4. rear brakelight assemblies have really cheap, thin foam gaskets that leaked, allowing water intrusion into the subwall, behind fiberglass skin, and the substrate is already rotting. I made repair myself.
5. windshield wipers stopped working, this is another reason for the return to Camping World for repair.
6. heater/AC dash blower motor has had loud howl and screech since new, and this problem required 2 trips to repair center, yet to be resolved. I was told by Camping World, the blower motor was a Ford item, I went to local Ford dealer, and was told it IS NOT a Ford part. I incurred costs for shop time at Ford dealer for this, and was told by Camping World, they were mis-informed about the origin of the motor.
7. exterior caulking quality control is extremely poor, with sags, over-caulk, and generally messy application.
8. interior caulking in bath area, and shower very hurriedly, poorly done and unsightly. shower wall pulled away from wall, I repaired this, and the poor caulking.
9. Just developed loud creaking noise form the front of the coach, loud enough to be heard inside. Ford dealer checked front-end, and it was fine. I discovered the noise emanates from the mounting points which attach the coach body to the chassis frame. yet to be resolved.
10. right after purchase, water leak developed at water tank connections. I repaired myself, after discovering the connections were barely finger-tight.
11. power points in dash continuously blew fuses. This required 3 trips to Camping World, as they were not competent enough to make a simple replacement of a 3 dollar cigar lighter, as I suggested, initially.
At this point, after a year of ownership, and 2800 miles, 800 of those back and forth to Camping World, we hope to have these issues resolved, finally, this week. Apparently, obtaining warranty permission from Thor is a slow, tedious, adversarial process. I repaired some of these issues myself, as it is expensive to drive an hour each way to Camping World, and quite frankly, I have diminishing confidence in the competence of the service center. It is a crying shame that such an interesting, livable, economical to drive, well designed coach has such mundane quality control poor workmanship issues. The introduction of the Thor Vegas/Axis was so well-received, with such fanfare, it is too bad the actual execution of the smart design was so horrible, in rushed construction, and nonexistent quality control.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do wish that my coach had a checklist for when things don't work. A while back my generator wouldn't work so I had to use the main engine to charge the batteries. My heart missed a few beats when I couldn't retract the awning or the slides. It didn't help that I was already stressed over the generator and wasn't doing my best thinking. Someone suggested that I turn off the engine and everything was fine.

ntar827
Explorer
Explorer
My Boo-Boo.

Don't know how I missed that.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I guess I owe an apology to Thor.

Nick

gvisnic
Explorer
Explorer
Note: Make sure that there is adequate clearance to fully extend the room.
1. Apply the parking brake
2. Make sure ignition is in OFF position.
3. To extend the room, press and hold the ROOM CONTROL
SWITCH in the โ€œOUTโ€ position. When the room is fully
extended, release the ROOM CONTROL SWITCH.

Taken directly from the thor axis manual page 64. see # 1. Looks like Thor did an adequate job explaining the procedure to me. I have a Hurricane made by Thor and you do need to set the parking brake to extend or bring the slides in or out

Rangerider
Explorer
Explorer
My Hurricane manual says to set the parking brake to extend or retract the slides.
Me & the Wife
2012 Thor Hurricane 32A
Future Toad: 2008 Honda CR-V

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had you released the parking brake after moving the slides out? You should not have been able to move them either direction until the brake is set. It also should have been covered in the walk-through, because the interlock is so common to gas motorhomes that all service techs and sales people should know about it.

The slide control panel used by Winnebago has a "parking brake" light to remind you why the slide won't move. But they also put the information in the manual.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will find that all motorhome manuals (except for perhaps the really nice ones) have a lot to be desired, and are very generic. Like there is one manual for all Hurricanes, with no model specific information.

On edit: the manual says you need to set the parking break on page 64 ( if I read the right manual) to both extend and retract a slide.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is set up that way. Tiffin gas jobber
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem of not reading the manuals? That would apply to me and many others I am certain.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.