Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thor Super C (Chateau/Four Winds) improvements and mods

Sites
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks,

I purchased a 2014 Thor Chateau 33SW last August and right from the start I experienced the new RV owner blues. In short, after driving back to San Diego from where I flew out to purchase it in Texas, it spent its first 3 weeks in the shop with about a dozen issues, ranging from minor to major.

That said, aside from all of the issues, now that I've resolved most of them either through warranty or just fixing it myself after the local Thor service dealer either did a half-assed job fixing a problem, or just flat out didn't fix it after it sat in their shop for weeks, I like this motorhome. I wanted something fairly nice and that could reasonably tow 10k+ LBS, since I have a desert prerunner truck and several motorcycles to trailer out with the family. Dynamax's were nice, but out of the $$$ range I was willing to invest on a first MH. I also looked as used medium duty chassis Super C's (older Show Haulers, etc.) but anything close to $100k was too dated looking and generally VERY used. So I saw the F550 chassis based Thor 33SW and bit the bullet.

After owning it for about 7 months now, my impression is that Thor came up with a great layout and mated it to a good chassis, but as a result of both production line quality assurance issues and the general feeling that everything beneath the surface was designed to speed up build time, there are many improvements that can be made by owners to make this coach better. And frankly, should have been done at the factory before shipping off to the dealer! ๐Ÿ™‚

The reason I'm starting this thread is because I've noticed a few other Thor Super C owners on here and other forums, that have all mentioned having similar issues (house water pump leaks, front fuel tank filling issues, front hydro jacks too low from the factory, poor house battery capacity, etc.) I've also noticed a few very cool modifications and improvements by others on here as well, such as relocating the house batteries to one of the storage compartments and switching to a bank of four 6v batts. I figured it would be useful to try and centralize the communication of issues encountered, how to resolve them and suggestions to improve the coach.

I've done a few already and will post one of them shortly. Hopefully other Thor Super C (33SW, 35sk, 35sg, Etc) will chime in as well.
2014 Thor Chateau Super C (33SW)
593 REPLIES 593

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
mbacfp30 wrote:
Roof A/C unit.

Am I supposed to use a different filter?

I think there's something blocking the condensate path on the rooftop unit. Hopefully it will be something simple.
2005 Safari Gazelle 40PBT
2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS pulled by 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
Roof A/C unit.

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
Keep an eye out for Mobil Delvac 5w-40. Currently has a $12 off per gallon manufacturer rebate and waiting for it to go on sale at Napa (usually $21.00 a gallon)...makes for a pretty cheap oil change and is a great oil. What I have been running...truck seems to like it.

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
mbacfp30 wrote:
That is weird. Let me know what you find out? Random question, do you change the oil and fuel filter on the truck yourself? Also, what coach air conditioning filters are you using?

Both oil changes were done at the Ford dealership, but from now on will not be since I will be out of warranty in two months and will have no reason to go back to the dealership. I learned something the hard way this time though while I was closely looking at my invoice. There was a line item for $49.99 for "misc. charges". I asked what it was. He said it's the "shop fee" for rags, cleaning solution, trash, etc. I couldn't believe it. I won't be going back there, for sure.

By coach A/C filter, do you mean the filter on the truck A/C, or the roof A/C units? For the roof units, there is a stock foam filter in there, and I keep it clean.

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
That is weird. Let me know what you find out? Random question, do you change the oil and fuel filter on the truck yourself? Also, what coach air conditioning filters are you using?

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
It happens 100% of the time whether level or not. At first I thought it was a roof leak because it was raining the first time it happened. Then we had it happen when it hadn't rained in ages, but was humid. I'll have to get on the roof and dig around I guess.

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
I remember now. Does this only happen when the rig is leveled? Thankfully never noticed anything like that and we run the A/C a lot when camping. Sorry to hear that hasn't been resolved yet.

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
mbacfp30 wrote:
What is the condensation issue with your front A/C again?

Run A/C, water soaks the foam ceiling, then starts coming in around the trim for the front vent - the crank-open vent to the outside.

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
What is the condensation issue with your front A/C again?

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
mbacfp30 wrote:
Just noticed the wood frame around the refrigerator (lower right side wood panel) is coming loose...need to glue it back on. Hope all is well.

Same stuff, different day. We broke another drawer glide retainer, even though I went back and added two or three large screws to each rather than the one little screw they put on in the factory. I had a whole bunch of them break, so Thor sent me a box of them, and I have spares. Like you, I just need to get out there and do it.

I still haven't fixed the condensate drainage issue on my front A/C. Still can't use it, which is irritating because I prefer to run the front A/C at night. Thor was supposed to call me back with potential fixes, but I never heard back.

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
RobbieH,

Glad to hear your Rig got fixed. On our very first trip I had a rock hit my Windshield and Safelight came out and did the resin. In looking at it throughout the years it looks like the resin may not have worked. Might be looking at a new Windshield myself. Just noticed the wood frame around the refrigerator (lower right side wood panel) is coming loose...need to glue it back on. Hope all is well.

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
All the problems that have been chassis problems (Ford) have been taken care of by Ford. They have not had to call Thor for anything truck related.

My check engine light was due to squirrels getting under the hood and eating the hoses. Almost $500 for a squirrel house and restaurant. ๐Ÿ˜ž

glenns4d
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I just had the Windshield on my 2015 33w taken off and reinstalled by Safelight. 225.00 for the job. Much easier then going to a Dealer that can service the truck and waiting for them to get approval for the work and then they would bring in a glass shop to do the work.

I have had almost every other problem mentioned in this forum with the exception of the drive train issue.

Sorry to say,
Glenn

glenns4d
Explorer
Explorer
RobbieH wrote:
So, yesterday I took my RV to the Ford dealership for a check engine light, and there sits another Four Winds. The Ford dealership said that it was essentially totalled due to a leak that went down the A pillar into the wiring harness. It has just over 3000 miles on it.

I also had a water leak in my A pillar. MHSRV said it was due to the windshield not being sealed properly from Ford. But now I'm starting to wonder.

Glenn

Sites
Explorer
Explorer
On mine, it didn't matter what angle I tried, or how much I squeezed the handle, it would always just shut off.
2014 Thor Chateau Super C (33SW)