cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triple digit heat! Generator won't run

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
We have a real issue! Triple digits, ready to leave for our trip in one day and the generator won't run the a/c.

We had unplugged shore power to cool the 2008 Itasca down for some pre-trip honeydo's, Went outside to see if it was cool enough and someone had plugged the #@%$ thing into shore power with the generator running! We've had some issues with things being touched in the past - but nothing this bad. Now, I've turned everything off and left the mh sit for 20 minutes. Returned and generator turned over and all seemed to be working till I added the a/c. It would not run it!

Anyone have any ideas what may have occurred, or better yet what do I need to do to fix this???
27 REPLIES 27

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I assumed that you checked the obvious which is the fuel level in the main fuel tank as well as the OIL level in the generator. This may also be an issue with a crack in the rubber incoming fuel line to the generator, which is allowing air to reach the carb instead of just fuel.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much fuel is in the MH? How long has it been since you last used the gen ?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
This is unrelated to it being plugged in. It just happens to have a problem at the same time.

Did you check the oil level in the generator? It’s getting an automatic shut down. So, something is causing that.

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
First, if you have an ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) which I suspect you do have, no damage was done by plugging in assuming the ATS was functional.It's job is to only allow ONE source of 120 VAC to the main breaker panel-- either shore or generator.

The generator has two breakers on the generator itself. Turn them off an back ON.

If generator is running (i.e. not out of fuel, etc) exactly what 120 VAC things are working and not working?

The only thing that has trouble running is the a/c. With some fiddling I can get the a/c to run. However, even with the a/c turned off, the generator will start and run for about 10 minutes then it shuts down.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
First, if you have an ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) which I suspect you do have, no damage was done by plugging in assuming the ATS was functional.It's job is to only allow ONE source of 120 VAC to the main breaker panel-- either shore or generator.

The generator has two breakers on the generator itself. Turn them off an back ON.

If generator is running (i.e. not out of fuel, etc) exactly what 120 VAC things are working and not working?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
Robh242 wrote:
You need to review and learn your Circuit Breaker box. Hence, CBs. Electrical panel for coach.

I checked all cb panels, but could not find one for the generator.z

Robh242
Explorer
Explorer
You need to review and learn your Circuit Breaker box. Hence, CBs. Electrical panel for coach.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off very circuit breaker and turn back on. If everything works on the generator except the A/C, then I would suspect the circuit breaker fr the A/C has tripped. Also, double check the operation of the A/C on shore power- be sure the A/C itself is not the problem.

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where to find the generator reset?

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Reset and set the CBs. Check the voltage at the ATS to determine if you have gen power on the input and output.

Not sure what that is?

Robh242
Explorer
Explorer
Didn’t see that the gen was running.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reset and set the CBs. Check the voltage at the ATS to determine if you have gen power on the input and output.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
Check circuit breaker in the panel.
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT