cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDB 1900 by Geat West Vans a one of a kind C ???

Neverhappy
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 1995 Great West C on a Chevy chassis, but can't find any info on that particular model.
I would love to know if anybody ever heard of such a RV. Fiberglass shell..kind of like a chinook but with a overhead cab.
Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)
5 REPLIES 5

johmac
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, thank you for your response. When I said "It looks like it has an overhead sleeping space", I should have added - from the outside. When you look at the space from the inside, it was originally open to the ceiling which allows the driver or passenger to stand up in that space when they exit their seat toward the back of the van. There are three storage cabinets directly above the windshield. The center cabinet has a roll up wooden door which I believe housed a small TV at one time because there is a coaxial cable and a 12 volt outlet coming out from the wall behind the cabinet.

I built a plywood bridge that spans the opening above the driver and passenger seats and installed a 66-in mattress on top of it. I think we have only used it three times. It really is too short for an average person to sleep on but good enough in an emergency. My daughter, who is 5 ft 6 in, slept scrunched up in there during a windstorm, instead of outside in the tent with her husband. He slept on the outstretched passenger seat below. Both very uncomfortable, but safe. When camping with my wife we usually leave the bed above the cab and it provides additional storage for cushions, bags etc.

One thing I wish I had added to my post, which is already too long, is that the van appears to have had dual wheels at the back at one time. Since I don't have a manual there was no way for me to know this for sure. If this was in fact converted, the person who did it decided to make the rear tires a slightly bigger diameter than is listed on the van door. Does your van have single or dual wheels on the back?

I am sure I will have more questions for you but I think those are enough words for now.
John

PS. I recently had awning trouble in a September camping trip. I was told by local RV dealership that parts were no longer available for it. As it turns out parts are definitely available. What the dealer was not aware of is that the awning is manufactured by Fiamma. It is the f45 Plus model, I think manufactured in italy.

Neverhappy
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw your post today...I have the same layout but a bed over the cab ?? if you have specific questions I will be glad to answer if I can..
Only 3 were made...mine is in France where I live..
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS

johmac
Explorer
Explorer
We have had the 1995 Great West Vans WDb1900 for 4 years now I think. It is in decent shape for a 25 year old vehicle. I am not an expert on these things but I always assumed that it is a class B motorhome. It looks like it has an overhead sleeping space at the front but the only things up there are a tv cabinet with a roll-up door that once housed a 12 inch tv and a storage cabinet on either side. It has a small bench seat right behind the driver's seat and a tiny bathroom (with shower track above that encircles the outer edges) right behind that. In one of the under seat storage bins there is a shower head and hose that I assume you would attach to the bathroom faucet. It is a tiny bathroom and I am sure taking a shower in there would be an adventure.

Across from that is an under counter 3 way fridge (it had a 110 volt bar fridge in there when we bought it) with a propane cooktop above. Beside those and under the counter are a bank of drawers with a storage cupboard to the right with a small sink above. There are 4 overhead cabinets above. Across the aisle and behind the bathroom is a pantry with a door that goes from the power panel on the floor to the ceiling.

In the back of the unit is a seating area with 32 inch bench seats on either side and a full-width bench seat at the back which surround a small dining table mounted on a 2 1/2" diameter pole, with mounting hole in the floor. There is a similar hole in the floor at the front of the van behind the front seats which can swivel around toward the back. The rear seating area converts to a 52" wide by 77" long bed. There are storage cabinets near the ceiling on 3 sides. There are two typical Chev van doors at the back which open to access under seat storage, or through which you could slide a surfboard or a kayak into the van.

It has a parquet floor covering the area from the fridge door to under the bed and the cabinet doors and frames are solid oak. The unit sleeps 2 unless you swivel the passenger seat completely around to face the back and fully recline it but that would be very uncomfortable. It is based on a Chevrolet G30 van I believe, powered by a 350 engine with 140,000 kms on it (84,000 miles).

Unfortunately I don't have a manual for it but I always thought it was a class B. I looked everywhere on the internet for information on this unit but found very little. We ran into a couple who were traveling in a GWV through our town a couple of years ago. Theirs was also a 1995 but it was on a Dodge chassis with a 318 engine and it had the standard van body with double doors behind the passenger door.

I tried but I guess I can't attach a picture to this post. Maybe I can put a picture on the internet and include a link to it later on if I can figure that out. In the meantime, any more information would be great.

John

Neverhappy
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
Not one of a kind, but a low-volume manufacturer.

Only 3 made ....of this wide body edition
(Take notice of my fast answer ..lol)
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not one of a kind, but a low-volume manufacturer.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B