cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeze Dried Foods for RV Travel

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad

We bought a freeze dryer, with the intention of having better tasting freeze dried foods available.  It's been a wild success so far, and we're literally still in the experimental stage.

So far, we've freeze dried fruits, raw and cooked vegetables, hamburger patties, and beef stew.  We've tested each to ensure they do taste better than commercial freeze dried foods, so we are really happy.  Now we need to work up more meal combos and package accordingly.

I'd not really thought much about taking along freeze dried foods on RV trips, but I'm liking the idea more and more.  We could save so much on weight, prep time, etc., and yet still have the really tasty meals we prefer, when there's just not enough time to do up a proper meal.

Not having cans and bottles bouncing around and making noise will be another nice perk.

Yep, I'm really enjoying this contraption.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
6 REPLIES 6

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad

Gave up on the lettuce and fed it to the deer herd.  Weren't enough beets to fill a flat, so we roasted and ate them.  The beets greens were new to us, and they are delicious; weren't enough left over to freeze.  Our gardening buddy is bringing more to Mom's 99th birthday dinner, so we might have enough this time to freeze dry.

Meanwhile, I rather like the idea of freeze drying jerky, then using it, berries, and suet to make pemmican, because freeze drying the jerky would make it infinitely easier to break up into almost powder for the pemmican (no pounding between rocks).  Talk about a keto bomb snack....

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad

Bought a flat of Poteet TX strawberries.  Also took two sessions before they were fully dry, but overall we're very pleased with the process and the resultant tasty foods.  Today we're working on beets, greens and lettuces.  I'm a bit hesitant about the lettuce, since I know it will reconstitute as a limp thing and I hate limp lettuce, but Spousal Unit wants to give it a go.  Ooookaayyy....

Czarny, black cat

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

It looks like you are getting better at freeze drying foods. Keep up the good work! 

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad

Took two rounds, but the broccoli and green beans came out fine.  Today will be blueberries.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad

The broccoli and green beans needed a second round in the freeze dryer.  We'll see how they turn out tomorrow.

Czarny, black cat

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

Good luck with your venture. We used freeze-dried food when travelling in the Minnesota Boundary Waters backing in the 60's and 70's. 

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29