cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orville Redenbacher’s Classic Calorie Counting

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
The front of Orville’s Classic Recipe box says there are 170 calories in 2 tbsp unpopped popcorn. Never in my life have I purposely eaten unpopped popcorn, so I checked the calorie listings on the side of the box and discovered that those 2 TBSP of unpopped corn make “about 4 cups popped.” I imagine they have to say “about” as I have never been able to get all the kernels to pop.

The side of the box then reads that there are 30 calories in a serving of 1 cup of popped corn. I guess I then have to multiply 30 X 4 to arrive at the number of calories in one pouch….BUT WAIT! There are 2.5 servings per bag, and that would seem to mean that one whole bag equals 2 ½ cups of popped corn and that would be 75 calories, right?

OK, I could live with those 75 calories except for the fact that I Googled Orville’s Mini bags and read: “Orville Redenbacher's® SmartPop! microwave popcorn has just 100 calories per 6 cups and is 94% fat free.” Those Mini Bags are really, really small – smaller than the Classic Recipe bags. Is butter the culprit?

Another Google search told me that “The Mini Bag makes a buttery, salty treat just for you.” And a serving size is 5.5 cups popped. Servings per container 1, calories 210. Whatever happened to 100?

And, of course, the Popcorn Board (Yes, there really is one!) contains totally different information; so, while none of the above makes sense to me (You might have an entirely different perspective.), it totally explains why I have not been able to lose weight.
0 REPLIES 0