cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steamed Clams, Pacific NW - Washington

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a restaurant anywhere from the Everett, WA area UP NORTH to the Canadian Boarder. Specifically, great STEAMED CLAMS (steamers, not razors, please).

Any recommendations are greatly welcomed and appreciated! If it is a little hole-in-the-wall with awesome food, the better!!

Thank you!

Lura
'19 Nash (Northwood Mft) 22H
'07 2500 GMC Sierra HD, CC, 4x4, 3.73s, LongBed Duramax,
Equalizer, Enkay Mudflaps
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc
"A bird is a bird. A fish is a fish. A Dog is a Person."
32 REPLIES 32

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
WOW. I'm without words with your responses. I'm glad that you have moved on and are now far, far away! Reading comprehension is apparently not important to you.

In the nearly 50 years that I have lived in the area, I do not know anyone who travels to Coupeville or areas north of there who actually uses the Clinton Ferry to get there. I've worked in Oak Harbor, Coupeville, and Port Townsend for many years. Do not take the ferry from Clinton to get to Coupeville, no one suggested it! Get it?

The steamed clams are worth the trip.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I'm a bit baffled about how expensive ferry rides ($3.50/person, $1.75/senior for a walk-on to Port Townsend from Coupeville (Keystone). . . cheap for the experience) and crowded Deception Pass (20 miles to the North, which is another great and worthwhile experience) has anything to do with great steamed clams?

Take the ferry to Port Townsend for the afternoon and visit Deception Pass State Park on your way to Coupeville. I've lived in the area for nearly 50 years and haven't been overwhelmed by yuppies yet.

This is a camping forum and I assume they will be taking a camper to see the sights, then add wait time. Not every one walks on, so they walk on and end up in Clinton. They hitchhike or wait for a bus? How much time waiting for the bus Clinton to Coupeville? Coupeville to DP? DP back to Clinton? If you live there you know it takes hours to get across most of the time, especially weekends. Just from your response I suspect your one of the liberals and drive a Prious, your not a Sherman or Engle that's for sure. There are 3 separate ares, military north, central was farming & dairy now taken over by liberals, and south with the alternative living folks. I'm am so glad to be away from the entire states liberals.

BTW my RV's 37ft pulled by an F350 Crew cab super duty long bed, I guess 50ft-60ft so $71.00 each way, I can buy a lot of clams for $142.

Ferry fares:
Vehicle, Motorcycle, and Stowage Fares
Vehicle Under 14' (less than 168โ€) & Driver $9.70
Vehicle Under 22' (standard veh) & Driver $12.25
Vehicle U14' (less than 168") & Sr/Disability Driver $8.30
Vehicle U22' (standard veh) & Sr/Disability Driver $10.85
Motorcycle & Driver $5.45
Motorcycle & Senior/Disability Driver $4.05
Vehicle Length-Based
Vehicle Under 30' Under 7'2 in. $18.15
Vehicle Under 30' Over 7'2 in. $35.75
Vehicle Under 40' $47.50
Vehicle Under 50' $59.25
Vehicle Under 60' $71.00
Vehicle Under 70' $82.75
Vehicle Under 80' $94.50
Cost per foot over 80' $1.20 a foot

Why would you ever consider doing the ferry from Clinton to Whidbey Island? It's expensive and prone to overuse. The poster is coming to explore our area. The route around the North end of Whidbey Island is usually faster without waits and is more interesting.

I'm sorry that your political issues have influenced your reasoning. I suspect that the moderators are about to remove your posts.

The OP asked about steamed clams and has no idea what the areas like. Looking at maps you find two ways to get there and with no knowledge he could well take the ferry route, and be very disappointed he did. I know exactly where you are I visited the owner of the tow service regularly. Tell me how he gets to Coupeville without his vehicle, should he leave the RV in Skagit Co? With out a years prior reservations he'll not find a camp site unless you'll let him use your yard. Yes it's beautiful on Whidbey, that's why is getting impossible to get there to visit unless you know someone or want to stay in a motel. It's cheap to go there when you can walk on the ferry and walk home, it's that's simple. Gas $2.99 - $3.05 when the national average is $2.19, every thing there is over priced, you pay for location. He's pulling an RV and likely has a diesel, what's the current price there, $1.85 here a couple days ago. Whats he do with that RV if he's to go to Port Townsend? The food maybe great in Coupelville but your going to pay for it muti times over.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
So you go when it's hard to harvest?

Yes, I miss mussels, especially Coconut Green Curry Mussels, which is a somewhat difficult recipe.

Would you mind posting your favorite recipe for steamers?

Thanks
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:

Yes, I miss mussels, especially Coconut Green Curry Mussels, which is a somewhat difficult recipe.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I'm a bit baffled about how expensive ferry rides ($3.50/person, $1.75/senior for a walk-on to Port Townsend from Coupeville (Keystone). . . cheap for the experience) and crowded Deception Pass (20 miles to the North, which is another great and worthwhile experience) has anything to do with great steamed clams?

Take the ferry to Port Townsend for the afternoon and visit Deception Pass State Park on your way to Coupeville. I've lived in the area for nearly 50 years and haven't been overwhelmed by yuppies yet.

This is a camping forum and I assume they will be taking a camper to see the sights, then add wait time. Not every one walks on, so they walk on and end up in Clinton. They hitchhike or wait for a bus? How much time waiting for the bus Clinton to Coupeville? Coupeville to DP? DP back to Clinton? If you live there you know it takes hours to get across most of the time, especially weekends. Just from your response I suspect your one of the liberals and drive a Prious, your not a Sherman or Engle that's for sure. There are 3 separate ares, military north, central was farming & dairy now taken over by liberals, and south with the alternative living folks. I'm am so glad to be away from the entire states liberals.

BTW my RV's 37ft pulled by an F350 Crew cab super duty long bed, I guess 50ft-60ft so $71.00 each way, I can buy a lot of clams for $142.

Ferry fares:
Vehicle Length-Based
Vehicle Under 40' $47.50
Vehicle Under 50' $59.25
Vehicle Under 60' $71.00
Vehicle Under 70' $82.75
Vehicle Under 80' $94.50

Why would you ever consider doing the ferry from Clinton to Whidbey Island? It's expensive and prone to overuse. The poster is coming to explore our area. The route around the North end of Whidbey Island is usually faster without waits and is more interesting.

I'm sorry that your political issues have influenced your reasoning. I suspect that the moderators are about to remove your posts.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:

Actually I live here... it is in front of my house, about 75 yards from my bulkhead. I own the tidelands.

The bi-valves that we plant encourage the growth of eelgrass that encourages herring row, that encourage salmon, that encourage Orca whales.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:

Ferry fares:
Vehicle Length-Based
Vehicle Under 40' $47.50
Vehicle Under 50' $59.25
Vehicle Under 60' $71.00
Vehicle Under 70' $82.75
Vehicle Under 80' $94.50

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link for today's tide chart 09/23/2020
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes, especially in the winter, the tides are not low enough for me to wade out to my bi-valves without needing a snorkel, or if the tides are low enough (0.00 feet or lower) they are in the middle of the night, and I lose interest because it is dark and blowing horizontal rain.

The tides on our bay can range up to 14 feet from high to low. I'll try to attach a tide chart in my next post.

The oysters are really good for our bay, as 1 mature oyster can filter 65 gallons of water in 24 hours. My 3 neighbors and I have planted over 150,000 bi-valves in the last 5 years.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pangaea Ron wrote:
The absolutely best steamed clams are at the Front Street Grill in Coupeville, WA on Penn Cove, Whidbey Island, WA. Their Coconut Green Curry Mussels from Penn Cove are even better. We were there for lunch when Tom Douglas (probably the best restauranteur in the NW) brought a tour group there for lunch.

I raise my own Pacific oysters (6,500), Manilla clams (12,000), Mediterranean mussels (15,000) and geoducks (35) on my beach. I go there when the tides are not favorable.

Go there.

Can you explain the last sentence, pls?
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
You guys did a great job making me not want the sandwich im currently eating for lunch
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
The absolutely best steamed clams are at the Front Street Grill in Coupeville, WA on Penn Cove, Whidbey Island, WA. Their Coconut Green Curry Mussels from Penn Cove are even better. We were there for lunch when Tom Douglas (probably the best restauranteur in the NW) brought a tour group there for lunch.

I raise my own Pacific oysters (6,500), Manilla clams (12,000), Mediterranean mussels (15,000) and geoducks (35) on my beach. I go there when the tides are not favorable.

Go there.

Coupeville has gotten too ....... yuppie, I lived there 23 year on acreage near Admirals cove. Ferry rides too expensive and Deception Pass too crowded.

ArcticFox_Cats
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!!! Thank you so VERY much!! Love it!!! You all are so extremely awesome!
Happy Camping AND Eating to One and All!!!
'19 Nash (Northwood Mft) 22H
'07 2500 GMC Sierra HD, CC, 4x4, 3.73s, LongBed Duramax,
Equalizer, Enkay Mudflaps
'13 Polaris RZR 800cc
"A bird is a bird. A fish is a fish. A Dog is a Person."