cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Automatic, smart battery charger? , part 2

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
This is a continuation/update of a now two year old post.

Thanks to the Raspberry Pi 3b, I have detailed logs per minute of information. Now I have a lengthy menu of graphs to review. This menu of graphs replaces the functionality of a remote meter. I iswireless as well.

Lets review this morning.

The first thing in the morning, I want to see how things went overnight. Here is the graph for this morning.

My conclusion is that the system is working well and therefor there were no problems that need to be addressed. This took about 3 minutes for me to view on my mobile device. I am done for today.

Why?

1. The blue line(V_Batt) shows the bank began the night in excess of 13V. As you can see, the blue line starts off the top of the graph. This is systems normal and the bank ended well charged yesterday.

2. The blue line stayed above the green line(2 Hrs). This means the charging time for Absorption is set to one(1) hour. The downward spikes are the ICECO 12V fridge cycling. If the fridge were not running, the ending Volts likely would have been above 12.8V. This is the seen as Volts at the top of the blue line between fridge cycles. There is a static 3A draw for misc electronics.

3. If the bank volts had dipped below the green line, the ABS time would have been set to 2 hours.

4. If the bank Volts had dipped below the yellow line(~ ABS, the float would have been cancelled and the ABS would run until sunset.

The green and yellow line's Voltage settings are the main triggers that allow catch-up if the bank had been used heavily enough beforehand to pull the low Volts down. These values were determined through extensive testing and analysis of finishing Amps between APR 2017 and JAN 2018.

HTH;
John
23 REPLIES 23

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning!

A very different story this morning.

I ran a driveway test yesterday by running the A/C in the TT. I plugged the TT into the inverter in the van. It was a nice warm sunny day. I wanted to see what I could get from solar.

Here is what solar produced yesterday.

It looks like my base load is around 48Ahs, or 2A average. I will give solar the next two days to restore the bank.

HTH;
John

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I have my two lines set a bit lower but the system does work great to automatically adjust between storage, normal use, and heavy usage.

Thanks for the reply. I guess that makes two of us that believe we have an automatic, smart battery charger. ๐Ÿ™‚

HTH;
John

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Two requests on this type of graph
1: all lines should have text labels lying on the line

2: IF it's a clear top/middle/bottom like the last graph please use those descriptions instead of color as color blindness is a Sex Linked Trait and though I am NOT color blind.. I'm not far from it (Per US Government testing).

I am color blind!, deuteranopia, the middle picture in the top row. I had to ask my wife to identify the colors.

I do include a symbol on the lines that ties to the symbols in the legend.

HTH;
John

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have my two lines set a bit lower but the system does work great to automatically adjust between storage, normal use, and heavy usage.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two requests on this type of graph
1: all lines should have text labels lying on the line

2: IF it's a clear top/middle/bottom like the last graph please use those descriptions instead of color as color blindness is a Sex Linked Trait and though I am NOT color blind.. I'm not far from it (Per US Government testing).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning;

Here is another key graph. This graph shows the 10 day trend for battery Voltage. The Voltage is measured via the Remote Temperature Sensor(RTS) connected to the solar controller. The Raspberry Pi 3B collects this information at one minute intervals. There are 1440 daily recordings.

The story today is that I have not checked anything since 4/13 and I want to know if anything unusual happened.

Red line(Min) - The first nine days are history, the last date is the condition as-of today's date-time in the title of the graph. I see the Red line stayed around 12.6V. That is good and normal.

Lt Blue line(Max) - It looks like there is a trend downward. My analysis is that the battery temperature has been rising and the controller is responding to the RTS and lowering the ABS set-point. Maybe good.

Green line - This also shows a decline but then there is a day above 14V. This tells me that the RTS Volts were above 14V for 360 minutes, or 25% of the time(1440/4). It appears that the controller is playing catch up as it should do. I look outside and see we are at full sun so we will have a splendid solar day. All is good and normal. ๐Ÿ™‚

HTH
John

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning Everyone!

Here is an example where the temperature was too cold for the ICECO 12V fridge to cycle. The downward spikes are not in the blue line as we saw in yesterday's graph. The downward slope is due to:

1. The battery temperature decreasing.
2. Static/parasitic draw of around 3A.

The low Volt reading was 12.854 and appears to be the low point at the end of the blue line. This graph ends when the controller switches to Bulk state.

The bank is doing well. I am done for today.

HTH;
John

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Iโ€™m glad there are people who do these studies. What exactly was the question or event which predicated this multi year study?

1. AGM charging. Because you cannot dip the acid and know the state of charge(SOC) of sealed batteries. Around here, this is called the one half of one percent rule taken from the Lifeline AGM battery manual. This is a method to assert fully charged based on the charging Amps rate tapering down to a percentage of batter Amp hours.

2. Smart Chargers. Off the shelf chargers do not charge lead acid chemistry no matter the format(flooded, gel, AGM) and the assertion by some folks that there is no such thing as an automatic charger. Relying on this type of charger may lead to a shorter battery life.

I am asserting that I have accomplished both.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m glad there are people who do these studies. What exactly was the question or event which predicated this multi year study?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT