cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BoatANT-WiFi-Cellular-Hotspot-Verizon-Sprint ???????

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
This might get long...Sorry

I want to connect to cellular using a Verizon and a Sprint Hotspot (My company supplies the Verizon and I pay for the Sprint. 3g a month for $30 grandfathered)
I want to extend my WiFi performance to reach a McDonalds, Starbucks, etc while on the road.

Currently I have a Yagi antenna on a 16' mast that I've deployed and connect to the previous Sprint and current Verizon Jetpack. I bought this antenna from Amazon. Recently Sprint replaced my old HotSpot with a new unit that operates on a new system they are using. I've not had the chance to try it with this antenna yet.

Highest Gain Wide-Band Log Periodic Yagi Antenna with 30ft cable and mounting hardware
Antenna adapter cable for Verizon Wireless Novatel MiFi Jetpack 4620L 4620LE 4G LTE Global Hotspot
Frequency: 698-960/1710-2700 MHz
Gain: 11dBi 30ft LMR200 Low-Loss Extension Cable

This antenna works great to "capture" cell sights on the Hotspots. A simple wire to the antenna connection on the Verizon MiFi hotspot and turn the mast for best performance. In the mountains of Vermont and the wilds of Maine it has worked great when nothing else was receiving cell service.

QUESTION:
#1) Would this antenna work on my recently upgraded Spring Hotspot that operates on the new Sprint system?
"The new Zing support Sprint's new tri-band approach to LTE. Sprint has been taking its existing 1900MHz LTE network and supplementing it with 800MHz, which does much better at penetrating buildings, and 2600MHz, which should provide scorching speed in urban areas."

#2) Would this antenna work with some type of WiFi router to extend my WiFi range?

#3) Would the BoatANT be a better choice for an antenna being that it is omni directional and operates on all frequencies http://www.wireng.com/boatant/
"The BoatAntโ„ข is a top quality, omnidirectional antenna that can be used as an external antenna for amplifiers/repeaters/boosters (GSM/PCS/DCS/2G/3G/4G/AWS/UMTS/WiMAX), direct-connect antenna for cellular devices such as cell phones, modems, and mobile hotspots, direct-connect antenna for Wi-Fi devices, and direct-connect antenna for WiMAX devices."

#4) Is there any way to use one antenna, one cable and some type of device in the camper to improve both Hotspot cellular and WiFi performance?

#5) What would you recommend?

#6) Am I making this more complicated than it is?

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can offer!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
6 REPLIES 6

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks RW.....With this info and others, I've decided on two separate systems.

WeBOOST 4g-M for a cell amplifier (Although it won't work with my Sprint HotSpot as it won't work on the new frequencies, as I was told by the folks at WeBOOST)

Techno RV "Booster Tube" antenna and USB Repeater
http://www.technorv.com/RV_WiFi_Boosters_s/85.htm

Or

JefaTech WiFi booster system
http://www.jefatech.com/product/RV-KIT-REPEATER/Long-Range-WiFi-Repeater-Kit-for-RVs.html

Haven't decided on which one as they both get great reviews.

Any opinion on these two systems would be greatly appreciated.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
No based in the antenna you have and based on the info you provided in the original post, the antenna covers all the major cell bands, so you should have no issue using it for Cell. It also covers the main WIFI 2.4ghz band so it can also be used for WIFI. I think where people may be confused is what you are going to connect it to, that is another conversation. But the most important thing is you cannot use the antenna for WIFI and Cell at the same time but you can use it for both depending on your need at a particular location.
The key is how you set it up. The antenna will be outside and will have the 30ft LMR200 cable you got with it going into the RV. From there the question is what you plug it into. For Cell you could plug it into the hotspot if it has antenna plugs (if it has two just use the left one it will work with one). For WIFI you will likely need a pig tail to convert it to another antenna connector so it will fit the WIFI router or an external USB WIFI card for your Laptop like an Alfa card.
Another point of confusion may be what you currently have for hotspot, do you have an amp, do you have a WIFI router etc or did you just buy the antenna?

Having one antenna to do it all will be simple especially if you are just using a portable mast to put it on and setup when you stop but you will still require something to plug it into inside if you do not already have it.

There are so many other factors to this conversation but if you want a permanent solution consider two different antenna setups and make them permanent, one for WIFI and one for Cell. Also consider a Cell Amp like the Wilson/WeBoost products, they will give you huge gain with a simple no need to aim Omni directional antenna. I would consider the same for WIFI and go Omni directional as well. In both cases an Omni is likely all you will need unless you are in really extreme fringe areas or like you mentioned you want to pick a specific tower. I just find for where I camp, directional antennas are a lot of work and I rarely ever need the extra boost they give and if I do not have coverage, I can live without it.

Even if you go with different hardware, take a look at my post "Adding a WIFI and Cellular amp to my RV" a 4 part post from my previously mentioned blog, it will cover all the basics of what you will need for this kind of setup. It is not the only way to do it but it is my preferred way and I have had a lot of success.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
A few folks have contacted me looking for a bit more information on what I'm trying to accomplish.

My goal is the ability to access a cell tower while in a remote location to use my HotSpot for data.......The ability to make a cell phone call would be a bonus. Many times I'm in areas where I can send and receive cell calls, but I can't access data as the local tower I'm attached to might not offer data. In that case I need to reach out and find a more urban tower that offers data.

WiFi extension is just that. Parked in a lot somewhere and a McDonalds is down the street. I want to access their WiFi. Or being on the fringe of a campground and want to use the supplied WiFi .

I was hoping one antenna would do it all. It seems I need two unique systems. A SLEEK or other Wilson type product for cellular/HotSpot connection and some type of WiFi range extender for my WiFi needs.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
A problem for me would be I would have to always re-point this yagi antenna to use it in the RV setup.

You may have covered this in your #3 response...

RoyB from VA
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you...Going to spend some time on your blog.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
The short answer to your questions is yes, no and maybe.
Generally antenna are tuned for specific frequencies and may sortof work on one band but not another. Also an antenna that works on Sprint may be lousy on the bands for Verizon. It can even be so specific that it works well on the Sprint 4G but poor on the Sprint LTE bands. However based on the details above it looks like it will cover most of the major 3G, 4G and LTE bands used in North America (it just does not break down how well on each band). It should also cover WIFI on the B, G and N on the 2.4ghz band. Your biggest concern should be the antenna cable length and quality. You are looking at roughly 6db of loss from the LMR200 cable (give or take a few db depending on brand/quality of cable and the specific band you are using it for). To do WIFI you would likely need a different cable or a pig tail that converts the cable to a different connector. The one thing I would recommend is keep your cable length to a minimum, if you do not need the 30ft cable, don't use it, get another LMR200 cable that is just barely long enough for what you need.
I have written a number of posts on my blog about WIFI, cellular, amps, antennas and cable type for RV's if you are interested in some longwinded opinions rwbradley12.wordpress.com take a look in the RV tech category.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com