cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

By-Passing TV Power Booster For Satellite

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard there is a way to re wire around the antenna power booster for satellite. My last trailer had a "loop" that would allow you to work around the power booster for satellite (although I am not sure how it worked). I want to do the same thing for my new trailer the only difference being that the new trailer is wired for 3 TV's and I want them all to work on satellite. I am pretty sure that all three tv's come together behind the power booster in some way..

Anybody know of a link or have any information if or how this can be done?

Thanks
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
17 REPLIES 17

MrWizard
I don't have satellite dish,
So I'm confused about this "wire around"
Doesn't the sat dish feed directly to the Sat box receiver
And the box connect to the tv via HDMI cable
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
There are several ways to do it. Winegard recommends the diagram below.

Making the connections the way Winegard recommends does not require adding any coax connectors to the wallplate.

Note that this assumes your front TV is connected to the coax connector on the front of the wall plate. If yours isn't, there should be a splitter in the line labeled "To second TV" that will send the signal to both the front and rear TVs (if you have two TVs).

What Winegard calls a "power supply" below is the wall plate with the antenna booster switch and LED showing when the amplifier is on.

If you still want to be able to use the external cable in for both cable TV and the external dish just add an A/B switch to switch the incoming coax from the sat receiver "sat input" to the sat receiver "TV input".

If your receiver doesn't have a coax output (and many new ones don't) and you still want to use the batwing antenna you will need to use an A/B switch to switch the signal between the receiver and the antenna out connection on the wall plate.

One thing not shown in the diagram is using the RCA type connections or the better quality "component" type output or the HDMI (best) output between the sat receiver and the TV.
That will yield a much better picture with no interference from any local channels. You have to select a "video in" with your TV menu instead of using channel 3 (for example).
Some newer satellite receivers don't have a coax output so you may have to use HDMI or component connections.

If you have a video distribution box that will have to be taken into account.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why would you want to eliminate the booster?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.