cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can one Directv sd box provide a signal to two tv's??

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
My camping buddy bought a new trailer which has two TV's installed. Both TV's have a hdmi connections and an ota connection, and comp connections. The Directv sd box does not have hdmi connections. The local Radio Shack rep said to run one tv off the sd's normal tv (coax) output connection and to use the comp connections to operate the second tv. This doesn't quite sound doable to me, and it did not work either.
So any thoughts or suggestions on this subject? Is it doable?
The trailer manuals do not show a connection diagram for the TV's.
Bill and Debbie
2007.5 SILVERADO HD DA CREWCAB LTZ 4X4 ARE CAP
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6
9 REPLIES 9

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
Well he got it working. Here is the solution. First he was given a device were you plugged the HDMI for the second tv in one end and the red, white, and yellow cables (av??) in the other end, did not work. He returned it and was given a similar device with the same type hookup but this is powered by 110v. It worked. YEA!!!
Thanks for all the tips and comments.
Bill and Debbie
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we are Hayden. Thanks for asking. We have also tried other settings.
Bill and Debbie
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Have to ask. Are you using the TV remote to change the input from HDMI to component?
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Somewhere in the RV is a wall plate. it will have a 12 volt accessory connection which is next to useless. a Switch, A Light and an LED light This is what many folks improperly call the antenna "Booster" it is, however, among other things the "Source" switch for the TV's

Remove it from teh wall (2 screws) there should be 3 cables on the back. Looking at it from the rear, cables down from left to right they are ANT/CABLE/TV-2

Remove the center cable and hook the TO TV cable from the SD Sat receiver to theat spot. NOw with the switch off SAT TV will go to both TV's. SD only of course but its an SD receiver.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What RCA Style output do you have on the receiver? An SD box would only have red/white (audio) and Yellow (Video). You cannot connect this to a Component (red/white audio and red, blue, green video) connection on an HD TV but you should be able to find a Composite (3 wire) to HDMI converter on line somewhere. The coax to a splitter to 2 TV's might still be best. You would also need to add an A/B switch if you want to be able to switch back and forth between watching satellite TV and OTA TV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
STB that is what we were told to use for the second (rear) tv. We tried both comp 1 and comp 2. It did not work for his situation. No signal on tv screen. Thanks for the suggestion tho.
First (front) tv is working well. To get around the absence of a hdmi connector on the receiver he is using the receivers satellite output via coax to connect to the tv ota coax connector.
As suggested, if we can get a second cable from the receiver to the rear tv and connect the cable to the satellite output of the receiver using a splitter we may have a signal. We will try this approach. If any of you have other suggestions please chime in.
Thanks all.
Bill and Debbie
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon has Composite video to HDMI convertes fairly cheap. They do not improve the quality of the standard def DirecTV signal.
They use the red, white, and yellow RCA connections on the back of the receiver.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ivylog. Are all splitters the same? It would be a real pia to run coax to the front tv but we will take a look at how to do it.
Since the hdmi cables are already connected to the TV's and the ends are in the receiver area is there an adapter that would allow you to connect the hdmi cables to the receiver coax tv output? Kind of like a splitter using two hdmi connections and a coax connector?
Bill and Debbie
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Run coax to both TVs using a simple splitter.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...